Sign in to follow this  
Arklight1

The DA Fokker......how is it?

Hello All,I have been thinking about picking up the DA Fokker. I have always had an interest in that jet but do not know much about it (the real one). I see it mentioned here and there in various forums but other than that, I am lost whe it comes to this aircraft (I think we had them here in the U.S. a while back?). I had read that a VC was "in the works", but upon reviewing their forum, it looks like contact with the customers has stopped regarding this. I would love a VC, but am not sure it is really something I "must" have (been flying the Maddog and almost never use the VC in that aircraft).How is the add-on? Pros/cons for a prospective customer would be greatly appreciated!Thanks!

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Hey, Ark! In my opinion this fokker belongs to the top four payware addons for MFS, together with the obvious 744, MD-11 and MD-82.Unless you are a VC-freak, there are actually no real disadvantages of this package. The only time I care about VC is when I ocassionally fly GA low and slow. I don't use it in IFR jet flying - it's just not for me. Yes, for those awaiting a VC in this plane, the situtation may look a bit irritating, since its developers made some promises about it. But, like I said, I didn't care, so I immediately bought it and never ever regreted a cent I had spent. The aircraft is improved all the time. Bugs are followed and fixed, not always fast, but they are out eventually. The current official version is SP2, however the team are publishing new beta fixes on their website (now I'm using SP2.13). The team do listen to their customers (forget the VC question for my mini-review, OK?). A good example was the key assignment possibility that some active users, including myself, were asking for. It was introduced and now I can fly the fokker with my mini home cockpit hardware controllers.The graphics of the 2D panels is very pleasing to my eyes. One of the nicest I've used, I must say. That includes the First Officer panel too if you like (can be chosen from the MFS aircraft menu). The sounds are also great. And I mean not only the engine sounds, but also all the sweet clicks and ding-dongs you get while operating the overhead panel for example.The level of realism is very high. That must be connected with the fact that one of the DA team clue members is a RW fokker pilot. 100% systems are modelled, including the capability of the CATIII autoland. Additionally you'll get a nice co-pilot voice telling you all you wish (including the moment when APU is ready to start). One of the FMC pages (Maintenance) has a good choice of config options. You can decide about your second pilot's activity, the units you're using (for fuel or atmospheric pressure), IRS allignment time, importing and saving flightplans, etc. The navigation data, by the way, is supported by Navigraph with each monthly cycle (as a collective Flight1 set). The flight dynamics feels great, though I must admit I've never piloted an F100 in my real life. But the team members have.The exterior model looks gorgeous. You can check that in various screenshots (below is the link to one of my fokker flight photoreports) and also videos (on YouTube for instance). Animations are great (including life-like pilots in the cockpit), same for lighting and available wingviews. You can even add an animated wiper to your 2D panel (you'll find it in the support forum)!http://www.digital-aviation.de/forum/viewt...f=44&t=5545The only problem I had were missing fonts in the FMC display. But it can be easily fixed by reinstalling the fonts (they are avialable on the support forum) in Windows.Well, what else to say? I highly recommend this addon and if you have any specific questions, just ask. :(

The DA Fokker is excellent in every respect! The visual model is one of the best in FS history in my opinion. The systems simulation is top notch. Its worth every hard earned cent.

echoing the others :If you don't own it,buy it,you will not regret.Be prepared for learning though,it doesn't fly like the usual Boeing.cheersJP.

... and one more. The lil' Fokker is among the best add-on aircraft, period. :(To ease the learning curve there are also a couple of excellent tutorials available. My first flight was a tutorial flight and after that I was able to fly anywhere. Regards,Jure

Guest Longyear

It is quite a special add-on in many regards; as has been said the systems simulation really is second to none, the 2D panel is nice. Sounds are excellent and hand flying dynamics very pleasant.The Fokker approach to control of the automatic flight guidance system (AP) in this aircraft is very confusing if you're acustomed to Boeing, Airbus, in fact pretty much any other aircraft. It has some very unusual conventions! ....and takes quite a bit of getting used to. That's not a criticism of the add-on as it's realistic to the real aircraft.One constraint is that, for a complex sim, this add-ons makes no provision for custom key assignments, (and therefore hardware compatibility) . But..... if you have registered FSUIPC you're ok, as I successfully got all functions (including all MCP buttons and knobs) working with my GF hardware, by setting up FSUIPC Mouse macros. You can do this because the add-on is 2D only !Which takes me to my final point; I'm not as forgiving on DA on this subject. A VC was clearly promised and then abandoned, disappointing a lot of customers who bought the Fokker on the basis that they'd one day have a nice VC.On the boxed Fokker product, it is stated "Due to the complex nature of this simulation, a virtual cockpit is not provided". That is absolute subversive nonsense in my opinion! What of all the other highly complex add-ons out there wlike the PMDG MD-11, and 747X, and the Level D, Maddog MD80, etc, all of which are complex simulations that also provide a VC. Not having a VC is a BIG constaint for many these days, where a lot of people enjoy using Track IR, TH2GO, etc.However, all things considered, if I were to consider whether I'd still buy the DA Fokker, I reckon I'd still go for it !Davido.

I have bought it, but I have become attached to my use of VCs and I can't do without. 2D panels make me feel claustrophibic, how stupid it may sound. I use them, especially the overhead, FMC and autopilot, but I always want to have a VC during all phases of flight to get some actual 3D perspective. Mind you, the only reason I don't have the DA Fokker installed, is because it lacks a VC. For the rest, I hear it is a wonderful aircraft.They are supposed to still give a VC, though. They expect to provide screenshots once the Windows 7 fix is released as a final version (currently in beta), so people remain hopeful that it will come in the end. When that is, I have no idea.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Hi,If you don't mind a lack of a VC, it is one of the best aircraft/panels available.Their support was very good, but imo during the last 6 months their support and responsiveness have deteriorated.I'm sure there are valid reasons for their slower responsiveness, if only they just communicated why.This all aside, it remains a good add-on.

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

this add-ons makes no provision for custom key assignments, (and therefore hardware compatibility)
What do you mean, Davido?If I understand you well (I'm not sure), read my above post where I state:
A good example was the key assignment possibility that some active users, including myself, were asking for. It was introduced and now I can fly the fokker with my mini home cockpit hardware controllers

Guest 747-fan

I bought it and have flown it a couple of times. Great system modelling, quirky and different. But no VC, which I prefer to use on the takeoff roll, initial climbout and during approach to get a better "feel". Hard to explain why, but I'm a VC addict.I haven't seen any news or screenshots on the forums yet about the VC, three weeks after the W7 hotfix was released (16th November). Another promise bent, if not broken. I bought this when it first came out. It's been more than a year. Quite frankly I don't think the VC will ever come out. And that's a disgrace. I and many like me have bought it relying on them making a VC. I feel like they've fooled me and they won't see any more of my business before I see a VC. They probably couldn't care less about my business, but I think that quite a few also feel that they've been fooled.For me it's another lesson learned. Read the fine print. And don't do business with companies that relies on the fine print to earn money.

I bought it and have flown it a couple of times. Great system modelling, quirky and different. But no VC, which I prefer to use on the takeoff roll, initial climbout and during approach to get a better "feel". Hard to explain why, but I'm a VC addict.I haven't seen any news or screenshots on the forums yet about the VC, three weeks after the W7 hotfix was released (16th November). Another promise bent, if not broken. I bought this when it first came out. It's been more than a year. Quite frankly I don't think the VC will ever come out. And that's a disgrace. I and many like me have bought it relying on them making a VC. I feel like they've fooled me and they won't see any more of my business before I see a VC. They probably couldn't care less about my business, but I think that quite a few also feel that they've been fooled.For me it's another lesson learned. Read the fine print. And don't do business with companies that relies on the fine print to earn money.
Was it released? For as far as I could see, it's in beta, not released yet. Or does DA use the same philosophy as Google ("Everything is in beta because we believe it will always need improving")? From what I've seen, they haven't broken their promise yet, but it's taking them very long to get that fix ready so that it is "officially released".

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

..... Quite frankly I don't think the VC will ever come out. And that's a disgrace. I and many like me have bought it relying on them making a VC. .....
Digging through their forum, you can read that they ran into problems with the development of the VC. Their main VC "artist" left the team and had to be replaced. I don't know how familiar you are with the creation of a VC, but rest asure that it's a very, very complex job. A new guy (or gal) stepping in, having to finish a project started years ago, would have a hard time in getting it done.Besides that, they had a lot of fps-impact problems, mostly in FSX, that needed to be addressed. To make things worse, there were compatibility problems with Windows 7 that needed to be fixed first.DA showed the VC on the Flightsim event last month in Lelystad (Netherlands) and it's pretty close to being finished.No, I don't believe we'll see it this year (but maybe they'll surprise us!), but I am convinced that the free VC upgrade will be released in the first half of next year.True, DA's communication on non-bug related issue's could be improved, but if you want a good and mostly realistic Fokker for FS9 or FSX, this is by far the one to get.

Regards,

Frank van der Werff

Banner_FS2Crew_Line_Pilot.jpg

Guest TU0833

i bought it a few months ago and wasn't so happy with it. i got random CTDs sometimes even at the start of the flight before touching anything! i couldn't find a solution to my problem, so i asked for a refund. with flight1 30 day refund you can try it and see if it meets your tastes.

Guest Tingoose

I'm definitely a VC fan and would love the VC to be released but if you really want a Fokker then you probably won't find a better looking and executed 2D panel than this one. IMHO, Digital Avistion certainly know how to make good 2D panels.

I have bought it, but I have become attached to my use of VCs and I can't do without. 2D panels make me feel claustrophibic, how stupid it may sound. I use them, especially the overhead, FMC and autopilot, but I always want to have a VC during all phases of flight to get some actual 3D perspective. Mind you, the only reason I don't have the DA Fokker installed, is because it lacks a VC. For the rest, I hear it is a wonderful aircraft.They are supposed to still give a VC, though. They expect to provide screenshots once the Windows 7 fix is released as a final version (currently in beta), so people remain hopeful that it will come in the end. When that is, I have no idea.
I have the feeling that VC will never be released. I'm afraid, they are doing the same dubious policy 50North did. Promising a VC to attract more people, who buy the add on instantly only in anticipation of a VC, which will actually never come. I never would have bought the 50North if I had known that the VC will never be released. And I thank god that I could resist buying the Fokker. Wolfgang