Sign in to follow this  
jetlover1118

Very Frustrated With FSX!

I've enjoyed FS for the last 6 years until switching to FSX. First on vista x64 and now on win 7x64. First off I can only fly during day light or dark, not dusk or dawn because when the cockpit lights come on or off half of the vc disappears. This happens with all but one of my addon aircraft.Also the issue with (driver failure and recovery) errors with my nvidia 285 gtx card. When this happens not only do i lose parts of my aircraft, i also lose terminal buildings at airports. I have tried all of the fixes suggested here and in other forums with no success. I've tried old drivers, new drivers, signed drivers, unsigned drivers for the 285 and nothing helps.I've reinstalled FSX a total of 7 times over past months including formatting my hard drive 3 times and starting from scratch.One positive note i'm getting very good frame rates when i fly, 35-48fps after following a tweak guide i found on the nvidia site.The only option i have left is to try an ati 4870 card that i replaced with the 285gtx.My wife wants me to walk away form flightsim but i can't i love it too much.Any help would be greatly appreciated!AlexSystem Specs:Mainboard-EVGA x58 3x SLIGraphics-GeForce GTX 285 OCFUCPU-Intel i7 950 3.07ghz (oc-4.0ghz)MEM-OCZ DDR3(6GB)OS-Windows 7 Pro x64FS-FSX SP2Activesky AdvanceGround Environment XUltimate Terrain X EuropeMytraffic X LiteNhancher 2.5.7Rivatuner 2.24

What is one of the aircraft it is doing it with? Are you using DX9 or DX10?

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

... I have tried all of the fixes suggested here and in other forums with no success. ...
Do the fixes you've tried include reducing your sound quality to "8000Hz telephone quality"?Go to: Control Panel>Sound>Speakers>Properties>Advanced>Default format>8000Hz.If this doesn't work, then repeat for all possible entries (headphones and so on) under the "Sound" part of the Control Panel.Not every driver lets you choose 8000Hz: choose the lowest available and see if it helps. Some people have good results at 11000Hz or even 16000Hz.Tim

I switched to another quality setting and got the quality down to 32000hz (FM Radio Quality).That is the lowest. I'll try another flight at this setting tomorrow and report back Thank YouAlex

One of the aircrafts is the pmdg md11 and i'm running dx 10.Alex
Does it do it in DX9 mode?

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

You may have tried this, but my advice would be to forget DX10 mode. Install the sim, with no add-ons and test. If all is well, install each add-on in turn until you get an issue. That way you can track down the culprit if it is an add-on responsible.The other possibility is that your graphics card is defective. Only thing I can suggest is obtain another card from a friend and test.

I switched to another quality setting and got the quality down to 32000hz (FM Radio Quality).That is the lowest. I'll try another flight at this setting tomorrow and report back Thank YouAlex
That level of sound quality is still too high to bring any improvement to the missing textures problem. It looks as if your sound card driver does not support the lower qualities of sound. If so, then you could try uninstalling the sound card driver and trying to get Windows to install the default "High Definition Audio Device" driver instead.Tim

That level of sound quality is still too high to bring any improvement to the missing textures problem. It looks as if your sound card driver does not support the lower qualities of sound. If so, then you could try uninstalling the sound card driver and trying to get Windows to install the default "High Definition Audio Device" driver instead.Tim
Hellowhy would lowering his sound quality have any effect on his graphics problem?From looking at his Hardware specs he is not compromised in any wayHe has a high end graphics card which will run FSX without problem. His sound card is as good as any consumer level card out there and the drivers are (surprisingly for Creative) very stable.The Graphics card may be defective, overheating , or his Graphics driver is corruptUninstall the Drivers (properly)Remove the card , Clean the Crap out of itRe-seat the CardReinstall the drivers , the latest DX9 updateForget DX10If all that failsTry another power supplyIf that does not work then reinstall is next.

Hi Alex. I was wondering what fsx tweak guide you used and what your settings are in FSX. I have a QX9650 OC'ed to 3.9, GeForce 8800 Ultra, 4 gig corsair ram, etc and can't get any where near the fps you are have. I dont have quit the workhorse computer you do but I shouldnt be getting 15-20 fps. I am really trying to give fsx a chance for the 4th time but if this continues I will go back to my silky smooth fs9 i think. Thanks

I noticed that we have the same videocard and very similar systems and add ons. I am using the 191 drivers and I am resistant to changing them because you have to reinstall Nhancer every time you change them. Anyway...I was having a very similar problem that cropped up when I installed the QW757. Originally I thought it was their aircraft but then I started testing my CLS747 and found the problems were the same. My system had been running great for a while - these problems became noticeable once I introduced a more complex aircraft. Until then, I was mostly flying Project Airbus and POSKY aircraft with the default VC merges and the Quest Kodiak.Looking back, it all started with FlyTampa's Grenadines - not that there is anything wrong with the scenery but because of their recommended settings I had to move more sliders to the right. I had them at a good spot - tuned with Nicks guide so I figured my rig could take it. Once I started seeing these problems, I realized it couldn't. I went back to Nick's guide and readjusted my sliders. All is fixed - no more disappearing terminals, ground or aircraft parts. If you haven't, set up your system using his guide. Everyone that uses it swears by it (including myself) http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041Here is what I changed/removed - one of these things made the difference but I am not sure which one - probably a combination of things.In my FSX.cfg:TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=70 (I had been playing with it but it works at this setting so I'm not touching it anymore)LOD_RADIUS=4.500000 (I bumped it up to 8.5 when playing with settings)I added this to the config when I was tweaking. I think they are default values but I removed it anyway when I was troubleshooting. This tweak is NOT in my config and my understanding is it is useless after SP1TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=4500TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=3000I have TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096 for hd clouds and it is still there On my display settings in FSX, I moved my mesh resolution back to 10m from FlyTampa's recommended setting of 1m. In the end, I think the problems had something to do with Mesh resolution and the LOD radius tweak because it increased load times quite a bit at 1m. It also used more memory. Here are my settings overall:Graphics TabFrame rate: UnlimitedResolution: 1920x1080x32Filtering: TrilinearAnti-aliasing: unchecked (set with NHancer)Global Texture resolution: Very HighDX10: off (DX10 causes a lot of isses for everyone because many add ons don't work with it)Light bloom: off (this will cause a major drop in performance if on)Lens flare: off (matter of preference)Aircraft TabAircraft shadows ground: off (personal preference)Aircraft shadows self: off (this can cause some issues with add on scenery and ai)Landing lights on ground: onScenery TabLOD radius: LargeMesh Complexity: 100Mesh resolution: 10mTexture Resolution: 7cmWater effects: Mid 2xScenery complexity: Very DenseAutogen Complexity: Very DenseSpecial Effects detail: HighGround scenery shadows: off (personal preference)Weather Tab:Cloud draw: 60miCould coverage: MaxThermals: offTraffic:Airline and ga traffic: 100%Airport vehicle density: lowRoad vehicles: 15%Ships and ferries: 40%Leisure boats: 40%I hope this helps. As I said, the problems started when I added more complex aircraft and I started playing with my original settings that worked pretty well.Good luck.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

The other thing I can think of for your video issues is that your power supply may not be providing a stable enought feed to your 285 (it's very demanding through its two power inputs). Which one are you running?

Hi Alex. I was wondering what fsx tweak guide you used and what your settings are in FSX. I have a QX9650 OC'ed to 3.9, GeForce 8800 Ultra, 4 gig corsair ram, etc and can't get any where near the fps you are have. I dont have quit the workhorse computer you do but I shouldnt be getting 15-20 fps. I am really trying to give fsx a chance for the 4th time but if this continues I will go back to my silky smooth fs9 i think. Thanks
(I don't remember the link but I copied the text)."These settings worked wonders for my frames"Okay, a few things to doFirst set nvidia control panel fsx as followsAniso filters App ControlAntialias-Gamma corr - OffAntialias mode - App ControlAntialias Trans -OffMax Pre-rendered Frames - 3Multi-Disp/Mixed Gpu Acc - Single Display Perf ModePower Man Mode - Prefer Max PerfSLI Perf Mode - Single GPUTexture Filter Negative LOD Bias - AllowTexture Filter Quality High QualityThreaded optimization - OnTriple Buffering - OnVerticle Syn - Use the 3D App SettingNext, click start and type appdataOpen the folder and go to RoamingOpen it and look for MicrosoftIn Microsoft folder look for FSX and open itLook for fsx..it should be a C.F.G file (Config File)Delete it and close the folderRe-run FSX. It will rebuild the Config FileClose FSXGo back to the config file (as above)Open it with notepad or wordpad and scrol to the bottomEnter the following valueBUFFERPOOLSPoolsize=6000000Look through the config file for the entryTEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=You can edit the value here but keep it between 40 and 70 maxRun FSX. Go to Settings then Customize (at the bottom of the screen)In the GRAPHICS tab;Set Target Frame rate to 26Set your default screen resSelect Filering to AnisotropicTick Anti-aliasingGlobal Text Res on Very HighSelecting Preview DX10 is optionalLeave Lens flare uncheckedIf running DX9 turn Light Bloom Off (causes double rendering of the scene)Tick Advanced AnimationsIn aircraft Tab you can tick everything and have 3d C..ockpit on (the forums like to change C..bumpit to bumpit cos they think its offensive lol)In SCENERY tabLevel of detail = largeMesh Complexity =100Mesh res= 1mTexture res =7cmWater effects.....you can change this to see how well the sim runs...try high 2x to begin with. If performance is not good, then drop it one setting.Scenery Complexity...again try extemely dense to begin with. Once you have found a balanced setting for your water effects should you move on to scenery complexity, so Water effects is done first.Autogen Density, again try very dense to begin with and scale it back accordingly. Set the Scenery Complexity first until you feel you have found a balanced setting that results in a smoother flight before you set the Autogen.Untick Ground scenery shadowsSet special effect detail to high.In the WEATHER tabYou should play around with the Cloud Draw distance. Note that if the above settings have not boosted your performance, turn the cloud draw down to 60 and try again.You should be able to rurn detailed clouds at max cloud coverage. This setting can boost performance to.Simulation settings at the bottom of the weather tab, untick download winds aloft and disable turbulence and thermal effects and set rate of weather change to low or medium (this last one wont really matter if your not using real world weather updates. I would recommend using a third party weahter engine like Active Sky X or Flight Environment for real world weather simulation)In TRAFFIC tabSet Airline and general aviation traffic to 10% to begin with. You may want to increase/decrease depending on performance. this setting greatly affects performance around airports, especially large ones or when several airports are in close proximity to each other (ie rendered on the screen at the same time)Set Airport Vehicle density to minimal. As above, you can increase/decrease this based on your performanceI personally dont want to Aircraft labels so I uncheck thisLand and sea traffic, set road vehicles to 20 % to begin with. Again scale up/down based on performance. Note that setting to 0% doesnt remove the vehicles so to speak, only hides them so your performance will still get hit by them, you can only control how much by, but on a quad core you should be fine.Set ships and ferries to 50% and scale as above adviceSame for Leisure boatsRun FSX again. Obviously make sure it is defraged firstLet me know how you get on. We may need to tweak things to suit your system.NotesDont bother looking at frame rates with FSX. Just fly and see how it feels, when you bank or turn to look out the window etc. If it is smooth enough, its good. You dont wont stuttering.Change the Autogen density to suit your flight. If flying high and fast, set them low or off. If flying low and slow, turn them up.Stutters can be elimated with BUFFERPOOLS setting.Text Mem Bandwith effects the ground texture sharpness and how quickly it loadsWhen running DX10 mode, light bloom can be turned on without a performance hit.If your screen is tearing, force V sync from the control panel. Dont bother forcing it with DX10 mode as it will cause problemsGo fly and hope this little guide/ramble helps you (and others) out.Let me know how you get on fellaThis post has been edited by Taz Rose: Nov 20 2009, 06:50 PM

Afternoon gents. I just entered the forum to check replies and see there are quite a few.I will carefully read through all of them and do some experimenting. I feel very good about finding a solution the my problem.Thank You Everyone.I'm sure a solution to my problem is here.Alex