Sign in to follow this  
RaptyrOne

J41 Weather radar add on problem

After browsing these forums I downloaded and purchased the RealityXP weather radar add on, WX500After this, went through the config manager, loaded the J41 and I see the radar and it works, however it is too small. The entire unit sits inside the non functional standard WX radar LCD screen. How can I re-size this? Going thru the manuals and configuration file I found nothing making any reference to this. Most frustrating. Any ideas?

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

I think this is as it is supposed to be. Unfortunately you have to use the green buttons on the wx500 screen. The buttons around the display do not work. You can't resize this it's just how it should be.

I think this is as it is supposed to be. Unfortunately you have to use the green buttons on the wx500 screen. The buttons around the display do not work. You can't resize this it's just how it should be.
Thanks CapP. Would be so much better if it covered the entire existing wx radar unit. Is this not something PMDG could easily fix? As it is, it looks out of place and degrades the overall appearance of the classy PMDG VC flight deck. Also not that easy to see without zooming in as it is so small. If it is so and this can't be adjusted, I have to say I am dissapointed, money not so well spent.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

An update here - Take a look at screenshots in the following Avsim links:Avsim forum J41 screenshot 1Avsim Forum screenshot 2Here the weather radar is clearly taking up the whole area occupied by the default non functioning PMDG unit. On my instal the ENTIRE unit, buttons, frame and all is squashed into just the LCD screen area. Here is what I am seeing:Radarimage.jpgDefinitely not right. Any ideas, please.Thanks

GregH

Mine installed without a glitch and worked straight from "the box"... PMDG included the RealityXP in the panel.cfg file. Here is the part of my file concerning the WX500:///////////////////////////////////////////////////////// VC SECTION 2///////////////////////////////////////////////////////[VCockpit02]size_mm=512,512pixel_size=512,512texture=$GaugeTwobackground_color=0,0,0gauge00=j41!pmdg_j41_rmu_1, 0, 0, 197, 250gauge01=j41!pmdg_j41_rmu_2, 197, 0, 197, 250gauge02=PMDG_BAe_JS4100_3!GNSXLS, 1, 254, 256, 204gauge03=j41!pmdg_j41_alt_pic, 448, 0, 64, 254gauge04=rxpWX500!RDR, 266, 264, 236, 166gauge05=j41!pmdg_j41fms_pu_open, 460,229,27,17Copy the underlined section in your panel.cfg over the same line in your own file (located in FSX installation folder/SimObjetcs/Airplanes/PMDG_JS4100/Panel) and save. If changing this doesn't work I suggest uninstall both and then install again.Cheers

Regards,

Martin Martinov / VATSIM 1207931

Hi Martin,Thanks - I tried as you suggest. I noticed that most of the numbers that appear in my panel.cfg file are exactly double yours. Not sure if that is just becuase I have my screen set to a different resolution or something. Anyway, when I changed the numbers as you suggest, the aircraft loads up fine but the WX500 is completely absent - just the standard non functional original unit is there. I checked and tere are no click hotspots so it is obviously not loading the unit with those numbers.I am going to do as you suggest and uninstall both the aircraft and then the WX500, run a quick registry cleanup and then re-install both again. Will report back here.

GregH

After browsing these forums I downloaded and purchased the RealityXP weather radar add on, WX500After this, went through the config manager, loaded the J41 and I see the radar and it works, however it is too small. The entire unit sits inside the non functional standard WX radar LCD screen. How can I re-size this? Going thru the manuals and configuration file I found nothing making any reference to this. Most frustrating. Any ideas?
I might be wrong, but from reading this I assume that you used RXP's config manager for Wx500 to insert this into JS41?If so, this is not necessary as JS41 already has an ini-file for Wx500.I just installed Wx500 and not other setup was done.

I might be wrong, but from reading this I assume that you used RXP's config manager for Wx500 to insert this into JS41?If so, this is not necessary as JS41 already has an ini-file for Wx500.I just installed Wx500 and not other setup was done.
Hi mhlarsen,Yes, unfortunately the first time I installed it I went into the WX500 Config program. But there is nothing one can really change. I have now done a Control Panel uninstal of the WX500 followed by the J41, deleted reference to Reality XP in ProgramData and C: (instal extraction location), run a registry cleaner and then reinstalled the J41, run it in FSX and then installed the WX500 and not entered the Config manager. Same thing! :( The only thing that could possibly have caused an issue, that I can think of (although I don't see why) is that when I originally installed the WX500 I had not yet flown the J41 in the sim. Although I had run FSX, I had not selected the J41 to actually fly, prior to installing WX500.Any ideas, please this is driving me nuts! :(

GregH

I believe the main issue lies in the fact that the VC uses 3D objects, which makes it impossible to install the RXP units as we used to with the 2D objects previously in FS9 days...What the pictures show in your links are the WX500's screen only, the buttons of course still belong to the Honeywell device in the VC originally. The placement is such that you see just the screen of the WX500. If you wish to make any adjustments to the radar gain/tilt, you will need to pop up the gauge...I recently tried to "install" a GNS430 into one of my GAs... and had similar problems. If there is no "window" in the VC for the gauge, it will not show up... The only workaround without changing the model is to use the gauge as a pop up only in those cases... At least PMDG gave us the window, so that the radar screen shows through...Andrew

Hi GregI have the CS WXR and while it's not impossible to get the full gauge to show on the panel it could cause a problem in that the two click spots for increasing and decreasing the range of the HIS display are on the right hand side of the bezel that surround the radar display area, which will probably cause a problem between the range controls of the HSI and the controls of the WXR gauge when you overlay the RXP gauge on top of the bezel.Also the reason that the numbers given to you in a previous post seem to be nearly half of the numbers that you have is that you are probably using the Hi Resolution panel and the previous poster is probably running the Low Resolution panel.For my self my own workaround was to make a small gauge that acts in the same way as the gauge that the FMS uses, in that when you click on the WXR display a new pop up window that has the full WXR gauge appears so that I can either adjust the range, gain or just to turn the unit on and off, and the same procedure for closing the window just click on the radar display, this way I still have full control over the HIS range and the WXR gauge, in fact I have two click spots on the WXR display, one for the radar and another for the FS FlightKeeper ACARS Device.If you think it might be of use I could send you the gauge and installation instruction, either by E-Mail attachment or some other way if you prefer.Jim Hodkinson
Hello Jim, I use the RXP wx radar, but from what I've seen in your screenshots, I am definitely impressed and would sure appreciate it if you can provideme with the gauge and the installation instructions. Thanks in advance mate.Regards,GodfreyG :(

This feature of the PMDG JS4100 Turboprop was set up as a courtesy to some users, but is not officially supported by PMDG. However, I will point out a few tips to help you folks out.1) In order to maintain proper asthetics in the cockpit, only the screen of the weather radar works, and mouse rollover controls are present on the screen itself. If you install RealityXP weather radar, there really is absolutely nothing you need to do to get it to work as designed in the PMDG J41 VC. Don't tinker, and everything will work fine.2) The batteries/generators must be on for the weather radar to work. Make sure the airplane is powered up if you do not see the weather radar or or not getting the green mouse rollovers. Likewise, the Reality XP Weather radar is OFF by default, and must be turned on using the green mouse rollovers on the weather radar screen.3) If you must tinker, please back things up first, or you may need to reinstall the PMDG J41. Keep in mind that there are two versions of the panel.cfg, Panel_HIDEF.cfg, and Panel_LoDef.cfg. These are the configs that must be edited. Then using the J41 configuration manager, choose hi resolution or normal resolution displays, and the panel.cfg will be updated accordingly. If you edit the base panel.cfg, it will be erased as soon as you run the J41 Configuration Manager.4) If you want a 2D popup, you will need to hand edit the 2D section of the panel.cfg Window Titles, and add a Window05 with the appropriate entries. These entries can be found by examining other aircraft that the realityxp weather radar auto configured.5) If you alter the RXPWX500.INI file in the PMDG J41 airplane folder, you will get undesirable results, like the screenshot shown above with the full gauge bezel showing inside the screen.6) Do NOT run RealityXP's auto configuration utility for the PMDG J41. This will most likely give you undesirable results.For futher assistance I suggest dropping by Reality XP's Product Forum.

Vin Scimone

Precision Manuals Development Group

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team_FB.jpg

Thanks Vin and Jim,Appreciate the input and offer. I am going to re-install the J41 now, followed by the WX500. If I have the same problem again (I suspect I might as I have done this excersize already) is there a way that I can check those ini files against know good ones you guys have?Would it help installing the WX500 before installing the J41 perhaps?

GregH

Would it help installing the WX500 before installing the J41 perhaps?
If the WX500 is already installed, leave it as is.Uninstall the JS41, remove any folders/files left behind by the uninstaller in simobjects/airplanes.Reinstall the JS41.Your WX500 will now be working.

If the WX500 is already installed, leave it as is.Uninstall the JS41, remove any folders/files left behind by the uninstaller in simobjects/airplanes.Reinstall the JS41.Your WX500 will now be working.
Hi trisager - your last post here sounded so positive and convincing I jumped for joy and dived right in. Unistalled the J41 and confirmed that there was no J41 folder debris in the SimObjects /Airplanes folder. Rebooted the PC for good measure and re-ran the J41 installer (probably for the 5th or 6th time today). Fortunately today as a public holiday here!Anyway, started up FSX, loaded the J41 and my heart sank - the same problem. I have tried the J41 Config editor also adjusting he quality of the ccokpit but this makes no difference either.Is there a file such as the panel.cfg contents that I can post here for you guys to look at? Perhaps this will show up something? There has to be a logical explanation. Re-instals simply are not working, no matter how I approach it.I have found the following in the RXPWX500.INI file in the Airplanes/PMDG_JS4100 folder:[sETTINGS]Wx500Popup=15500NoFrame=OnThis is the entire content of this ini file, as seen in Notepad. NoFrame=On sounds like a potential setting that could cause this?

GregH