Sign in to follow this  
CaptEm1

Cool 737NG HUD Pics

To get people even MORE excited about the upcoming PMDG NGX, I thought I'd post a few 737 pics from airliners.net. ;-) I'm guessing the cockpit will look very similar to these images, if not identical. Most of them are from the 738, and they look great. Enjoy.(I do not own any of these images. Everything is taken directly from Airliners.net, inculding photo remarks.)1st: Delta Air Lines, On approach to runway 28R in SFO. 2nd: Delta Air Lines 737-832 Simulator's HUD as shown in a snow-covered approach to SLC. 3rd: 738, Quantas. Preflight almost complete, the HUD shows a few performance figures still need to be calculated. 4th: 738, Xiamen Airlines. 1465077.jpg1367221.jpg1085183.jpg1176865.jpg

5th: Southwest Airlines, Boeing 737-7H4, Holding short of Rwy 12R. With the HUD display visible, it's all business up front.1334715.jpg

Ugh... makes it all the more frustrating knowing we're at least a year away from release! -Alex

Guest sunbear

Great shots! Does the HUD not give you wind direction & velocity? OR I'm I missing something in the photo's!!Regards,jack

Great shots! Does the HUD not give you wind direction & velocity? OR I'm I missing something in the photo's!!Regards,jack
I think it's supposed to be in the top right corner. Another cool feature is the VSD (Vertical Situation Display) which I hope will be included in the NGX. It builds on the Enhanced Ground Proximity Warning system and gives pilots a clear view of the airplane's current and predicted flight path through a graphical display below the HSI rose. Truly a great new feature in the NG.737techk62%38%305_n.jpg

Guys,I'm pretty sure Airliners.net frowns on hotlinking their images like this...Regarding the wind - the HUD gives you a total velocity vector, much like fighter jets have - this is showing you exactly where the airplane is headed at all times, taking wind and all of that into account. Just put it on the runway and that's where you'll go.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

It looks like the F/O doesn't have a HUD, didn't know that.I'll be going to bed smarter tonight.

Guys,I'm pretty sure Airliners.net frowns on hotlinking their images like this...Regarding the wind - the HUD gives you a total velocity vector, much like fighter jets have - this is showing you exactly where the airplane is headed at all times, taking wind and all of that into account. Just put it on the runway and that's where you'll go.
Ryan, the images belong to private individuals, not the site itself, and the copyrights are at the bottom of every image. Hotlinking directly to the site should be just good publicity, it shouldn't be a problem.

Sorry, Emil, the airliners.net usage statements say otherwise...Check out the /usephotos/ page on the airliners.net site...Unfortunately, we cannot embed or place a link to them anywhere here:"You have entered a link to a website that the administrator does not allow links to"However, Airliners.net are pretty sharp on this...Andrew

Sorry, Emil, the airliners.net usage statements say otherwise...Check out the /usephotos/ page on the airliners.net site...Unfortunately, we cannot embed or place a link to them anywhere here:"You have entered a link to a website that the administrator does not allow links to"However, Airliners.net are pretty sharp on this...Andrew
Yeah, I just read " Restrictions on the usage of photos". That's too bad. If someone from PMDG or Airliners.net tell me to take them down I will certainly do that.

HUD will take getting used to. I would probably find myself turning it away and using the PFD unless either SOP's demand that I use it or if I'm used to it from military experience. HUD has too much information clutter for my taste.

HUD will take getting used to. I would probably find myself turning it away and using the PFD unless either SOP's demand that I use it or if I'm used to it from military experience. HUD has too much information clutter for my taste.
My first simming passion was Falcon(Way before 4.0) and the hud is very familliar. I think people will get use to it very fast, it's easy mode in many ways. I bet within 5 minutes most will have it all memorzed. Its very simple, and you'll get use to it fast.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

If you turn the Flight Path Vector on (on the PFD) you get exactly the same amount of information.CaptEm1 - where did that photo come form. Didn't know the NG had a VSD.Cheers,Amman.

I'm not familiar yet with the 737 type HUD, what it can do and what not.My experience is with HUDs on aircraft that do not have autoland capability and therefore the HUD is used to land in low visibility manually. Got to try this on an Embraer 145 myself and was fascinated by the precision that is achieved by following the HUD guidance on a manual CATIII approach. I felt like a Space Shuttle pilot when that little flare symbol started appearing from the bottom to guide you through flare... :( Can't wait to use the HUD on a 737!Markus

Markus Burkhard