Sign in to follow this  
FSXHD

New Carenado Plane Announced

Carenado just announced their C185E Skywagon.*EDITED BY ADMIN*ALL IMAGES ARE OVERSIZED AND COPYRIGHT PROTECTED

Oh joy another aircraft that they can stick the same old panels in. Please please put a modern panel in one of your aircraft for a change. I will not be buying this if you don't at least make the effort to modernise things, its becoming monumentally boring.

Cheers, Andy.

Oh joy another aircraft that they can stick the same old panels in. Please please put a modern panel in one of your aircraft for a change. I will not be buying this if you don't at least make the effort to modernise things, its becoming monumentally boring.
Totally unrealistic thinking for this aircraft Andy. It's a bush plane, not an airliner. Might be better to have a properly-weathered and knackered old panel, with gauges that don't quite work right, look like Noah installed them on the Ark and which need care and attention to work than some all-singing, all-dancing glass panel with modern navaids for a back-country bushplane.I do agree - and have already asked in the Carenado forum - that some of the other aircraft need a modern alternative with decent avionics, but this one? In fact I'd go so far as to say that the screenshots show a way too-clean aircraft, some hangar queen that doesn't get used. If they want to do one of these then there had better be a gnarly, scratched dented and damaged example with dirty windows or I probably wont' be tempted - the Sibwings Bird Dog looks to be a better choice as that really seems to have the balance of old and tired right! http://forum.sibwings.com/viewtopic.php?t=535

It's a bush plane, not an airliner.
So that precludes the owner from updating the panel then does it, I'm more inclined to think that the owner of an old aircraft like this would have updated the panel simply because it is getting so knackered. It would probably have a half decent GPS in it and modern radios for when the weather gets bad and a bush plane is the only way in or out in an emergency. I'm just sick to death of seeing the same old same old in every Carenado plane that is released, I've only bought one of the FSX rebuilds because of that, I just don't see the point in paying again for aircraft that I already owned previously in FSX, they could have at least given loyal customers something for their money like a modern alternative panel and I'm not talking about all glass panels or anything stupid like that, just modernise things a little and hows about proper 3D gauges. Dev's have got to do a lot more these days to get me to part with my cash, Carenado simply don't do it for me anymore.

Cheers, Andy.

So that precludes the owner from updating the panel then does it, I'm more inclined to think that the owner of an old aircraft like this would have updated the panel simply because it is getting so knackered. It would probably have a half decent GPS in it and modern radios for when the weather gets bad and a bush plane is the only way in or out in an emergency. I'm just sick to death of seeing the same old same old in every Carenado plane that is released, I've only bought one of the FSX rebuilds because of that, I just don't see the point in paying again for aircraft that I already owned previously in FSX, they could have at least given loyal customers something for their money like a modern alternative panel and I'm not talking about all glass panels or anything stupid like that, just modernise things a little and hows about proper 3D gauges. Dev's have got to do a lot more these days to get me to part with my cash, Carenado simply don't do it for me anymore.
Don't get me wrong, I agree with you. They do design aircraft that have the bare minimum and re-use those minimums time and time again, seemingly without consistency of approach (hdg bug adjustment is inconsistent even among the same aircraft series and still appears to be the same `pop up` design they used in FS9 but which is no longer needed in FSX if they made better use of camera views) they don't appear to be developing into new features or areas, just relying on the same old elements and I don't see the point of, say, having a freshly-painted `90's` Saratoga with 70's instrumentation. An owner would refresh interiors and avionics not just paint the outside.Effectively what you get with Carenado are very pretty external models and a very limited internal level of sophistication which hasn't advanced any from the FS9 models. It's their niche and they seem stuck in it, but obviously it makes other people happy. Just not you and me.But actually, that might be what a 185 needs. Old Skool, and all that. And no doubt it will have the (same old) GPS. But old skool will be done better by SibWings. The Safir showed that.

The Carenado avionics seem to match well the avionics in every real Cessna I've ever flown. The only time I've seen a G1000 Cessna is at aviation trade shows, the vast majority of them still have the mix'n'match of old avionics. New Cessna's come with the G1000 of course but I don't see many of those around. A G1000 set can be worth almost as much as some of the older Cessna airframes, doesn't make sense to install in them and those are the models Carenado models. Now a Garmin 430 on the F33 Bonanza they are making would be a good fit, but it's easy enough to install the RXP unit with full functionality instead. I'd rather see Carenado spend their time making a good variety of light GA planes (which almost no one else is doing anymore it seems) and leave the avionics to the avionics vendors.In the end if you don't like it, just don't buy it. There's plenty of us who like them as they are.Here's a pic of the panels of the planes I fly for reference...

The Carenado avionics seem to match well the avionics in every real Cessna I've ever flown. The only time I've seen a G1000 Cessna is at aviation trade shows, the vast majority of them still have the mix'n'match of old avionics. New Cessna's come with the G1000 of course but I don't see many of those around. A G1000 set can be worth almost as much as some of the older Cessna airframes, doesn't make sense to install in them and those are the models Carenado models. Now a Garmin 430 on the F33 Bonanza they are making would be a good fit, but it's easy enough to install the RXP unit with full functionality instead. I'd rather see Carenado spend their time making a good variety of light GA planes (which almost no one else is doing anymore it seems) and leave the avionics to the avionics vendors.In the end if you don't like it, just don't buy it. There's plenty of us who like them as they are.Here's a pic of the panels of the planes I fly for reference...
David-I agree totally. In fact I would love to see more avionics that match what you see in 90% of Ga aircraft. There are some rather noticible ones missing such as a stormscope, and popular brands of autopilots.They certainly fill the nitch though of planes that look like real planes in the fleet, rather than pristine planes most of us dream about but never see.

Guest CryogenicPilot

I agree with the general sentiment that Carenado, while good, needs to get with the times and offer more in their products given these economic hard times. People forget, businesses are defined by the busts, not the booms.However, if you want modern Bush planes with modern avionics...The Quest Kodiak by Lionheart Creations is a great plane.The Pilotus P-12 is a similar plane.

I love Carenado and I do like that there interiors and panels accurately represent what u will see in most GA aircraft. But I must admit I dont know if I can take any more pipers or cessnas. Also an upgrade to 3D gauges would be very nice. While I am looking forward to there next beech it just seems it has been more of the same lately.

Matt Wilson

I love Carenado and I do like that there interiors and panels accurately represent what u will see in most GA aircraft. But I must admit I dont know if I can take any more pipers or cessnas. Also an upgrade to 3D gauges would be very nice. While I am looking forward to there next beech it just seems it has been more of the same lately.
There is also a lack of depth to their panel bitmaps - that `solid black crinkle` is getting real old and moving the viewpoint can result in some strange perspective errors, although that is mainly due to the gauges. They could also raise their flight modelling game more than a little, almost every release seems to come with a problem that needs a serious `fix` and even where they try to replicate the characteristics of the aircraft the results are most often a little `coarse` and lacking in finesse - the elevator response of the high-tail Arrow IV being the perfect case in point. I have some hours in an Arrow IV and what Carenado offer ain't it. It's approximate, but not accurate.If they could raise their game in these areas, match the featuresets of other makers and make a release that actually improves on previous releases rather than just replicates it with a different external model they could enter a whole new arena - the one in which you find the SibWings, Flight 1's and Aerosofts of this world.

Guest 413X3

I would say the vast majority of those older airplanes at least have a semi recent GPS in them.Personally I want to see a high quality Cessna 208 Super Cargomaster. Wish someone would make it for fsx

I would say the vast majority of those older airplanes at least have a semi recent GPS in them.Personally I want to see a high quality Cessna 208 Super Cargomaster. Wish someone would make it for fsx
More than not, most pilots will carry a good portable (handheld) GPS in these aircraft. Something such as the Garmin 296/396/496/696, Lowrances, Bendix King, etc. It's a much better solution than installing a certified panel mount.........which may not even have all the info the portable does. L.Adamson