Sign in to follow this  
Perry333

Frame rate limiter

Could someone kindly direct me to where I can get Frame rate limiter, and can you tell me if it is payware. Thanks.

Could someone kindly direct me to where I can get Frame rate limiter, and can you tell me if it is payware. Thanks.
It is free....Link is in this thread in the first post....You can read all about it....avsim

How do you install it? The one that I downloaded has a German read me OrIs there a manual for it?

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

How do you install it? The one that I downloaded has a German read me OrIs there a manual for it?
Click on the GUI applet and fill in the path to FS, and push the create bat file button.The bat file will contain something like this:start C:\"Program Files\fps limiter\"FPS_Limiter.exe /r:D3D9 /f:30 /x:ON /l:OFF "G:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe"Then create a shortcut to the bat file on the desktop.According to the readme file, you can also instead create a shortcut to fps_limiter.exeand add the path to FS in the target line (shortcut properties window)Like this:C:\"Program Files\fps limiter\"FPS_Limiter.exe "G:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator\fsx.exe"Not quite sure of the quotes etc, since I have not tried this..

Bert

Thanks. I give it a shot

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Thanks. I give it a shot
The GUI will only work/show if you also have Java installed

The GUI will only work/show if you also have Java installed
Yes, so you can also simply edit the .bat file without using the GUI, in case you don't want to install Java just for this.

Thanks for the info guys, but I can't open the GUI app it seems. Reading your post I know you need Java, but I have it so I am not sure why it won't open. I get windows can't open this file, gives option to look online or browse for program to open it. When I go online it suggests that I might have registry error, so I tried running Ccleaner registry fix but did not help me. So if you have any ideas I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Yes, so you can also simply edit the .bat file without using the GUI, in case you don't want to install Java just for this.
Just create a text file with notepad and put this line in it:start C:\"Program Files\fps limiter\"FPS_Limiter.exe /r:D3D9 /f:30 /x:ON /l:OFF "G:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe"Adjust the path names to match your system.Call the text file something like FPS_Limiter_FSX.bat and you are done..

Bert

Hi Bert, thanks for the help. But still am not doing something right. I did what you said and opened note pad and placed this in it:start C:\"Program Files\fps limiter\"FPS_Limiter.exe /r:D3D9 /f:30 /x:ON /l:OFF "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe" and then I called it this: FPS_Limiter_FSX.bat Next I made a folder in Program files called it fps limiter and placed all of the files from the fps_limiter download in there including the one I made above. I then created a short cut on desktop of the bat file that I made. When I clicked on it I get a brief flash of a window opening and then it disappears. When I start FSX and load a flight I don't see any differance ,I try F12 to show FPS but I get top down look? I not sure how to start it or load it?? Thanks for help.

Hi Bert, thanks for the help. But still am not doing something right. I did what you said and opened note pad and placed this in it:start C:\"Program Files\fps limiter\"FPS_Limiter.exe /r:D3D9 /f:30 /x:ON /l:OFF "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe" and then I called it this: FPS_Limiter_FSX.bat Next I made a folder in Program files called it fps limiter and placed all of the files from the fps_limiter download in there including the one I made above. I then created a short cut on desktop of the bat file that I made. When I clicked on it I get a brief flash of a window opening and then it disappears. When I start FSX and load a flight I don't see any differance ,I try F12 to show FPS but I get top down look? I not sure how to start it or load it?? Thanks for help.
Are you running a 64 bit OS? That may not work... :(

Bert

Are you running a 64 bit OS? That may not work... :(
It does work on my Windows 7 64 bit OS, so that's not the problem.
When you run the bat, the window you only saw briefly should stay open, and FSX should be started automatically! The fact that the window disappears and that you have to start FSX after running the bat file makes clear something is wrong. First of all, try this line (it's a bit simpler):start C:\"Program Files\fps limiter\"FPS_Limiter.exe /f:30 /x:OFF /l:OFF "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe"You could also try to see what happens if you extraxt the limiter.zip straight into a more simple folder, like C:\limiter (without any spaces and so on) and then run the (modified to the new paths) bat from within that folder instead of creating a shortcut. Maybe a mistake has been made with naming the folders or typing the paths or while making the shortcut or something simple like that. So doing everything as simple and straightforward as possible might eliminate mistakes etc. You really did install FSX into the default folder and not into a modified path...?

I'm no longer using the frame rate limiter program, as I'm running DX10, but quickly looking at the bat file, shouldn't the linestart C:\"Program Files\fps limiter\"FPS_Limiter.exe /f:30 /x:OFF /l:OFF "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe"read asstart "C:\Program Files\fps limiter\FPS_Limiter.exe" /f:30 /x:OFF /l:OFF "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe"(note the locations of the quotes on the first half of the line).I'm not sure, again, as I haven't run the frame rate limiter program in quite some time, it just looks 'off' to me the way it is being used here.Hope that helps, and please correct me if I'm wrong (as I wouldn't want to pass along incorrect information.)-George

I tried out the Frame Rate Limiter with a flight from Marathon to Key West, in the Florida Keys, and immediately noticed the "smoothness" of the flight, without even displaying the FPS.Where before I would get those "jitters" or hesitations from time to time, I experienced none during this flight.I then hit the old "Ctrl zz" and the FPS stayed within a few frames of 30, going just under and just over. So far, so good, for me.

Alexander Alonso

Guest CryogenicPilot

Something that has not been discussed in length about the FPS Limiter:You can set it to any FPS (#) you want. Ideally, it should be your AVERAGE FPS.So, if it is 45 FPS on average... This is what you should set your .bat file to, 45 instead of 30.I set it to 60 just to test and of course, my average was no where near that number. The flight was smooth, but the actual FPS was still fluctuating from 35-45. This is one way to find your average FPS if it isn't blatantly obvious by looking at the Ctrl+Z numbers.The reason the average is important is because it might be higher than 30.Even though FSX smooths out the frame rate at lower (average) frame rates, a higher frame rate is still desirable like most other games; it gives you more headroom. Especially for a smoother visual image and more importantly, better control responsiveness.