Sign in to follow this  
hamish7777

Out of Memory Win 7 64bit FS2004

Hi GuysI have recently upgraded to Win 7 64bit and have 8GB of physical Ram. I have loaded up FS2004 + all my addons, Ultimate Terrain, GE Pro etc etc and was doing a flight in my PMDG 747 across europe from Poland to the UK and 15 miles outside EGLL the screen froze and then I had an OOM memory error and was quite shocked, I thought the whole point of having 64 bit was I would rid myself of these memory issues as I used to have the 3GB switch when I was running XP 32 bit before. Is there something I missed? I checked the task manager and FS9 had eaten up around 1.9GB what was quite odd was there was a process called audiodg.exe that had eaten up 2GB of memory as well but I am nowhere near the 8GB that I have....Any help would be really appreciated,Hamish

Guest firehawk44
Hi GuysI have recently upgraded to Win 7 64bit and have 8GB of physical Ram. I have loaded up FS2004 + all my addons, Ultimate Terrain, GE Pro etc etc and was doing a flight in my PMDG 747 across europe from Poland to the UK and 15 miles outside EGLL the screen froze and then I had an OOM memory error and was quite shocked, I thought the whole point of having 64 bit was I would rid myself of these memory issues as I used to have the 3GB switch when I was running XP 32 bit before. Is there something I missed? I checked the task manager and FS9 had eaten up around 1.9GB what was quite odd was there was a process called audiodg.exe that had eaten up 2GB of memory as well but I am nowhere near the 8GB that I have....Any help would be really appreciated,Hamish
FSX is CPU dependent so, if you overclock or raise your sliders to the right too much, you could still have a memory issue. NickN discusses some of the limitations and OOM's in 32/64 bit systems in his excellent tutorial on how to set up FSX and tune it properly here: http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041. You didn't indicate your system specs so I'm guessing. I hope this helps your troubleshooting though!.Best regards,Jim

Thanks JimI think I have found my answer trawling some other sites..... I found this......' In 64bit Win7 you must still set the 'large address aware' flag in the executable so that the app can be allocated memory up to 3GB, but you don't have to notify the OS via the boot switches' so it looks like even though you are running 64 bit you still have to allow the FS program to have up to 4 GB of memeory allocated so will give this a try.....I am running FS2004 on an i5 OC to 3.6GHZ ATI 5850 8GB Ram......ThanksHamish..

Guest firehawk44
Thanks JimI think I have found my answer trawling some other sites..... I found this......' In 64bit Win7 you must still set the 'large address aware' flag in the executable so that the app can be allocated memory up to 3GB, but you don't have to notify the OS via the boot switches' so it looks like even though you are running 64 bit you still have to allow the FS program to have up to 4 GB of memeory allocated so will give this a try.....I am running FS2004 on an i5 OC to 3.6GHZ ATI 5850 8GB Ram......ThanksHamish..
I don't know about FS9 but the "large address aware" fix was incorporated into SP1 of FSX. So, if you don't have SP1 or Acceleration installed, you will have to manually edit the FSX.exe (again, don't really know about the FS9 execution. I think the following quote from NickN's article is appropriate in your case even though you are running FS9: "FSX is a 32bit application and as such even when run in a 64bit operating system memory amounts greater than 4GB will be of little use to FSX directly, however, when applied with a 64bit OS and i7 FSX SP2 (or RTM/SP1 with edited fsx.exe files) will be allowed access to a full 4GB with other processes and applications running along side having access to more (over and above). Therefore 6GB (3x2GB) i7 systems as addons and aircraft become more complicated will benefit FSX on a 64bit OS. If you switch to i7 you are far better off on 3x2GB than 3x1GB in system memory." Again, I believe you have overclocked your system too much and you will have to pull back the reins to avoid future CTD's and/or tweak the overclocking a bit more. Overclocking will also affect memory timings and this may be the causes of your OOM's.Best regards,Jim

Both Jim and Hamish,CTDs have *nothing* to do with overclocking of the system. Only thing what an overclocking can cause on the FS9 system is a freeze (but NO memory error) or a reboot (if it gets too hot). I've experienced more than one highly overclocked system of my own, and done very extensive testings.Anyway, about the flag: that is very correct. FSX is already 64bit enabled, what FS9 has to be done, otherwise there is absolutely no benefit of having 64bit system, with whatever RAM you load in it.Use CFF Explorer to set the flag in FS9.exe and then you will be ready to go. If you need help, chime in.

Use CFF Explorer to set the flag in FS9.exe and then you will be ready to go. If you need help, chime in.
Word Not Allowed, I'm using FS9 in Win 7 64 bit but haven't set the flag. I've not yet had an OOM but maybe haven't yet done enough long flights. I'd welcome further info on this process, please.Iain Smith

Guest firehawk44
Word Not Allowed, I'm using FS9 in Win 7 64 bit but haven't set the flag. I've not yet had an OOM but maybe haven't yet done enough long flights. I'd welcome further info on this process, please.Iain Smith
Here's the link to the process of setting the flag plus a link to CFF Explorer: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89138. I doubt you need the flag though with FS9. Best regards,Jim

Guest firehawk44
Both Jim and Hamish,CTDs have *nothing* to do with overclocking of the system. Only thing what an overclocking can cause on the FS9 system is a freeze (but NO memory error) or a reboot (if it gets too hot). I've experienced more than one highly overclocked system of my own, and done very extensive testings.
Word Not Allowed, I have to disagree with your overclocking statement. That's a very bold statement. There have been several instances reported on the AVSIM forums of individuals with 64 bit overclocked systems having OOM's. As I recall, in one, NickN suggested the system was overclocked too much (perhaps he was wrong). My system was overclocked by Dell at 3.4GHz but I upped it to 3.7GHz. I tried going higher but immediately began receiving CTD's and other anomalies with FSX so brought it back down to 3.7 which is very stable. I did this all through the CMOS settings which Dell installed. Some others have messed with overclocking their GPU and changing memory timings too and I'm just stating that all this overclocking can affect performance especially with a GPU intensive program like FS9 (FSX is CPU intensive). I have read many of your posts about your new computer system for FSX and the fact you had some bad memory modules installed and had to return them and the new replacement memory failed too (if that wasn't you, I apologize in advance). When strange things happen to people like the OP and everyone else is not reporting OOM's with their respective systems, you have to figure it has something to do with their system that they should investigate.Best regards,Jim

Thanks Guys, I have now added the LargeAddressAware Flag for the FS9.exe and the OOM error has disappeared. I did a full flight in the PMDG 747 across Europe with no problems and both airports had AES support so looks good. On the Overclocking debate on my last system which was an E8400 o'c to 4 Ghz I used to get CTD due to visualfx.dll, when I brought the OC down to 3.8Ghz it was fine no CTD so I think you have to be carefull how far you push it.......ThanksHamish

Word Not Allowed, I have to disagree with your overclocking statement. That's a very bold statement. There have been several instances reported on the AVSIM forums of individuals with 64 bit overclocked systems having OOM's. As I recall, in one, NickN suggested the system was overclocked too much (perhaps he was wrong). My system was overclocked by Dell at 3.4GHz but I upped it to 3.7GHz. I tried going higher but immediately began receiving CTD's and other anomalies with FSX so brought it back down to 3.7 which is very stable. I did this all through the CMOS settings which Dell installed. Some others have messed with overclocking their GPU and changing memory timings too and I'm just stating that all this overclocking can affect performance especially with a GPU intensive program like FS9 (FSX is CPU intensive). I have read many of your posts about your new computer system for FSX and the fact you had some bad memory modules installed and had to return them and the new replacement memory failed too (if that wasn't you, I apologize in advance). When strange things happen to people like the OP and everyone else is not reporting OOM's with their respective systems, you have to figure it has something to do with their system that they should investigate.Best regards,Jim
I wrote this message in the rush, just before I went to work and I made a little mistake: I ment OOM, and not CTD. CTDs *can* have an overclocking as cause. OOMs not. A big difference between those two ;-)What an OP reported was obviously an OOM, and had nothing to do with his overclocking (memory reaching 1.9GB and crashing...). I am glad he resolved it.And btw. I was not that person having bad memory modules, I don't even use FSX. I did though write many posts on OOMs...

Hi, :( I applied the LargeAddressAware Flag for the FS9.exe as needed for my win7 64 bit configuration. I still have one question remaining: do I have to apply the compatible mode (XP service pack II or III) when running FS9 or would this wipe out the LargeAddressAware Flag?Any help much appreciated :( Kind regards,JosEBBR

I still have one question remaining: do I have to apply the compatible mode (XP service pack II or III) when running FS9 or would this wipe out the LargeAddressAware Flag?JosEBBR
No Jos. FS9 runs perfectly well in Win 7 64 bit - it doesn't need XP compatibility mode.Iain Smith