Sign in to follow this  
WAD3

GE Pro vs FSscene

I did a search and found a couple of comparisons but they were from 2007. I wonder how people feel here in 2010. I guess my issue is price. One is $50 US and the other is about $20 dollars less. I wonder what opinions people have. I added REX 2.0 and cant believe how it is made my sim look. I would like something to do that for my ground textures. I have the original Ground Enviroment and uninstalled and have to be honest I dont see that much of a dfference. I wonder if GE Pro II is that much of an upgrade. Maybe FSScene is different. I was just looking for opinions.Thanks

I had that thought too. I went and got the free downlad on FSscene and tried it. It was ok. I ended up with GEpro. GEpro gives you the abilty to make your own grwond textures. Like GEX you can make your own colors up. The only think that I did not like about the GEpro if you you use overcast settings in send them to FS9 it is dark even at FL180 and above and if you land in a sunny place it's still dark. Just don't send the overcast texturs unless you are doing short hop low level flights. Other than that it's a good choice.

Guest Tingoose

IMHO GE Pro wind hands down. As you point out you can alter colour balance/cast to match the cloud cover of your flight and to my eye GEPro textures look much more realistic than FSScene and I feel that autogen placemant with GEPro is better.

Ok I guess I will save up and get GE pro.Thanks for the input guys.

Guest CX355
Ok I guess I will save up and get GE pro.Thanks for the input guys.
Have had GEpro for a long time and still am glad I have it.

I have the original Ground Enviroment and uninstalled and have to be honest I dont see that much of a dfference. I wonder if GE Pro II is that much of an upgrade. Maybe FSScene is different. I was just looking for opinions.Thanks
GE Pro is an upgrade all around. Everything from the night textures to the city scape has been modified. You'll need to upgrade to the latest version once you get GE Pro which is first 2.11 then 2.13. You have to install 2.11 first which is a major update. I'd also recommend updating your FS9.cfg file so this value reads:TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=400

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Yep, ground environmrnt is definetly one add-on that don't regret purchasing at all. It is at the top of my personal MUST HAVE add-ons, along with Active sky and of course the level D 767, those three are at the top of my must have list.

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

GE Pro is an upgrade all around. Everything from the night textures to the city scape has been modified. You'll need to upgrade to the latest version once you get GE Pro which is first 2.11 then 2.13. You have to install 2.11 first which is a major update. I'd also recommend updating your FS9.cfg file so this value reads:TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=400
Dillo110............Two questions for you. My next job is to update GE Pro on my newest computer. I'm still flying Fs2004. What is the differance between what you see with vr 2.11 and then after the 2.13 update? What does this change ( you say above) to the FS9.cfg do?? Thanks jerrycwo4

Dillon,in another thread you mention GE Pro will decrease autogen. I was about buying GE Pro when I read your statement. Since I was a bit disappointed about the heavy loss of autogen caused by UT which I finally bought q month ago, I think I won't buy GE Prof for the price of more autogen going lost. Could you please confirm that GE Pro will reduce autogen.Thanks, Wolfgang

Dillo110............Two questions for you. My next job is to update GE Pro on my newest computer. I'm still flying Fs2004. What is the differance between what you see with vr 2.11 and then after the 2.13 update? What does this change ( you say above) to the FS9.cfg do?? Thanks jerrycwo4
The big thing I noticed is the night textures. Their not quite right in the default version of GE Pro. After the updates the night textures in particular look allot better. Same goes for the inner city textures and autogen alignment. Concerning the FS9.cfg edits I found on my system after GE Pro the distance at which FS9 displays detailed texture was very noticeable. Ground scenery wouldn't come totally into focus unless you were right over the scenery almost. This looked like crap when approaching cities or just taking off. Now with an update I applied from along time ago I get detail as far as the eye can see at least until I get to about 15,000ft. After that you can see the mush in the distance but it's not near as bad as before. The total edit is here but many on this forum have since reported no change in their FS9 viewable distance. I opted to let it go glade that I found a change on my system. Here is the original FS9.cfg edit I got from the Flight1 forums:[DISPLAY] UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=0 TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=400 [TERRAIN] TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=95.000000 TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=10.000000 TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=100.000000 TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=21 TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8 TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=5 TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1 TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1 TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=40.000000 TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=60.000000 TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=1242456
Dillon,in another thread you mention GE Pro will decrease autogen. I was about buying GE Pro when I read your statement. Since I was a bit disappointed about the heavy loss of autogen caused by UT which I finally bought q month ago, I think I won't buy GE Prof for the price of more autogen going lost. Could you please confirm that GE Pro will reduce autogen.Thanks, Wolfgang
GE Pro is an asset that can't be overstated. What I meant with the autogen is within cities you'll find to align the buildings to the roads GE Pro ended up loosing the dense autogen look that you'd find with the default textures/setup. You do get more uniformity when flying over cities and it actually doesn't look bad at all and in some cases better. I still like the effect you get in FSX over cities but in the confines of FS9 this is actually the best option. With GE Pro you'd be hard pressed to find the default restaurant buildings and chicken signs found with the default ground but like I said overall it looks better overall and is the only option we have for decent city texture coverage at this point.To both you guys, REX for FS9 was an eye opening experience on a few fronts concerning the look of FS9. I was using the original GE along with Activesky 6.5's sky textures. The sky option I chose masked many of FS9's faults plus some of the scenery tweaks I did from my old computer didn't carry over to the new setup (I wondered why I had to jack up my haze more than before). The first main update was Zinertek's water which vastly improved how water looked in the sim. Today I use Zinertek's option in conjunction with REX's 'Tropical' and 'Inland' water textures. I overwrote the extra coral texture with Zinertek's (that REX opted out of when I looked at their texture files) this is better explained in another topic as MS added more Coral files than needed and REX corrected this or should I say for my purposes showed be how to correct this with Zinertek's water files. Next came the sky and when installing REX's sky options FS9 looked both good and glaringly bad in certain areas. This prompted me to discover the modifications above that worked on my end. I still say many of REX's options is either weird or I find too much haze is in the distance. I found a nice all around sky in a program called 'Real Sky Pro'. They have a sky that works perfectly with most of REX's clouds for all seasons called 'Nice Blue Sky'. Some Cumulus clouds from REX leave an overly BLUE effect in some of the clouds and others in REX's catalog work pretty good with this sky texture. Then came all the hype about GE Pro and I had to take a look to see what it did over the original GE. After the patches it worked out well. I ended up using REX's 'Pitch Black Night' because with REX the night environment was too bright. It took me almost a month to sort things out with FS9.75's new look but I'm finally happy with what I have. From GE Pro to REX all has been improved. I'm saying all this to hopefully help others out because things can get frustrating when FS9's looks is there but something's not quite feeling right about this sim (I went through that for 30 days after REX's release). For me it was everything from the sky to the sight distance that I was now able to see (was masked by haze before, a trick that didn't work with REX's new sky textures) which stood out and needed to be fixed. Now my sim is like others here (Feng comes to mind without his bloom effect) where it's hard to tell it from FSX. If we could get something that would improve the city ground texture that would be great. GE Pro looks great now but some wiz most likely could get the city texture to look even better like everything else that was once thought impossible for FS9. GE Pro has the rural areas nailed it's just the cities that could use a much needed update update.

FS2020 

update update.
Oops, Typo.... :(

FS2020 

Dillon,Thank you very much for your detailed and very interesting reply!Wolfgang

Dillon,Thank you very much for your detailed and very interesting reply!Wolfgang
No problem... :( REX just posted this in their forum so many might want to go with these values in their FS9.cfg file:[DISPLAY]UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=30TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=200[TERRAIN]TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=100.000000TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=10.000000TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=200.000000TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=20TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=4TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=4TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=4

FS2020