Sign in to follow this  
gman!

Plan-G

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, I'm not sure if this is the right place because its for FSX, and FS9...I have always been looking for a utility that I can use to find weather, look at airpace info, look at VORs, NDBs, VFR Planning,vetc. all in one map, almost like VFR maps, but instead of it being on a big piece of paper, its on a map. The other day I saw this utility on the Tileproxy forum, posted by another member and I wanted to spread the word and introduce more people to it. The utility is called Plan-G and can be found here: http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/ and its freeware, which is AMAZING. We should have more developers like this for FS. The utility is also for FS9 (Through FSUIPC + WideFS) and FSX (Through Simconnect, or FSUIPC + WideFS). I have the utility running on my laptop and its running through simconnect. It took me about an hour to set up the simconnect settings, but it was because I didn't realize some of the settings, I will post my simconnect settings @ the bottom to help people set it up without trouble and spend less time setting up and less time flying. The utility is mainly based of Google Maps. It works be getting the position of your airplane, then it places your plane on an Google Map, as well AI aircraft, airspace, NAVAIDs, Airports. It has a enormous amount of features in addition to the ones above, here are some:

• Ability to pull weather from nearest airport via FSX (so you know the weather will exactly be what is shown in FSX, also allows weather to be pulled through user-defined or weather themes)
  • Mini Panel: Altimeter, Atitude Indicator, HSI Indicator, Turn Indicator, VSI
  • Ability to edit map quicly, toggle special use airspaces, lower airpace, NDBs, VORs, Large - Med - Small Airports
  • Ability to change measurement (Imperial, Metric), Inches/HG, Millibar, Knots, MPH, KPH, Miles, NM, KM
  • Instruments and data is sent to Plan-G virtually instantly with simconnect (on my laptop view simconnect and my homenetwork, whenever I banked on my desktop, I saw a bank on my laptop with absolutely no lag, simconnect is that fast)
  • Doesn't hit system resources on a sepearte PC (simconnect didn't lower my frames, even though it was sending enormous amounts of data almost instantly)
  • Shows Airspace Info (Type, Restrictions, Class, Altitude(s))
  • Ability to show AI traffic weather it be VATSIM, IVAO, Gamespy or singleplayer!
  • You can see aircraft trails of your aircraft and AI on the map, and also log them
  • CDI that shows course deviation (if you load a flight plan)
  • ... and so much more!!

I highly, recommend this program if you have a second screen, or PC and like to simulate to the fullest or just like or use maps while flying. This utility makes it simple, fun, and easy! If you've never used simconnect (not sure about FSUIPC) you don't need to install FSX on your client (Receiving) PC. To setup on a network, I Simconnect Config Tool. It makes setting up Simconnect on your FSX (Server PC) much easier. All you must do is download, install, and you can edit away. Once you have it setup, you can access it by going to Start > SimConnect Config Tool.Simconnect Config Tool: http://www.codeplex.com/simconnectconfigtool---------------------------------------------------------------To setup Simconnect and Plan-G through a LOCAL/Home network for newbies (and people that don't want to spend endless hours trying to get simconnect to work):**Your PCs do not have to be running the same version of windows. Just be sure they are either running XP, Vista, and/or Windows 7For your Server/FSX PC1. Find the name of your computer and write it down. -For XP: Go to Control Panel > System > Computer Name. Copy the the "Full Computer Name". If you would like to change the name of your PC, click the 'Change...' Button and edit the computer name. If you know how to setup your Workgroups, make sure both your FSX and client PC are on the same workgroup, and continue. If you do not know how to set up workgroups, spare yourself a restart, and go the "NOTE:" at the bottom of this section. -For Vista/Win 7: Go to the Control Panel (Start Menu) and search "Advance System Settings", click "advance system....". Go to the "Computer Name" Tab. Click the 'Change...' Button and edit the computer name. If you know how to setup your Workgroups, make sure both your FSX and client PC are on the same workgroup, and continue. If you do not know how to, spare yourself a restart and go the "NOTE:" at the bottom of this section.2. Open Simconnect Config Tool (Start > Simconnect Config Tool) and run.3. Select the radio button that says "Create Custom Simconnect Settings", and also check "Activate custom settings" if not checked.4. Click Add, and select "Local Access (IPv4)". Change the Port Box to any port of your choice, and write down (I chose 4504). Change the Address box to 0.0.0.0 (An IP address of 0.0.0.0 will allow connections through all local PCs in Simconnect's simconnect.xml file. Click 'OK'5. When you are done, hit 'OK' in the main menu. Next you must share FSX on your network. To do this go one level up from your FSX directory (Maybe 32-Bit: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games | 64-Bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games)6. Right click on the "Microsoft Flight Simulator X Folder" (Or if you changed location during the setup of FSX, select the FSX root directory) and select "Properties", and go to the "Sharing" tab On XP: Check 'Share this folder on the network' as well as 'allow network users to change my files'. I recommend naming it Flight Simulator X, but you may name it whatever you like.On Win 7/Vista: Go to "Advanced Sharing (If you do not do this, Plan-G may not work correctly), Select 'Share this folder', and name "Flight Simulator X". Under "permissions", highlight "Everyone" and click 'full control'. Click 'OK' twice, then hit 'Apply' if not grayed out, then hit 'Close'--To be able to access flight plans on the client PC-- Follow step #6 on your server/fsxpc, but instead go to Documents (Vista/Win7)/My Documents (XP) and right click the "Flight Simulator X Files" (Or wherever you store your flight plans) and share as [i recommend] "Flight Simulator X FPs")--NOTE: Make sure your Server/FSX PC and client/receiver PC or on the SAME workgroup. Instructions directly below:XP: Go to your control Panel, click "System", go to Computer Name, click "Change...". Select the 'WORKGROUP' radio button and type in a name and right it down (I recommend entering in a name only you know, IF your on a non secure wireless router/network.). Click OK reboot. Do the same for the client, EXCEPT, type in the same name for the workgroup.Vista/XP: Go to your Control Panel, and search "Computer name". Click "Rename this computer" then click "Change..." Select the 'WORKGROUP' radio button and type in a name and right it down (I recommend entering in a name only you know, IF your on a non secure wireless router/network.). Click OK reboot. Do the same for the client, EXCEPT, type in the same name for the workgroup---------------------For your client/receiving PCNote: For simconnect there is NO NEED to insall FSX. Just make sure you install the Simconnect files ( http://updates.justflight.info/jf/FSX/SimConnect.zip )1. First off, open Notepad (Start > Accessories > Notepad).--We are going to setup simconnect on the client PC, so it knows where to look for the FSX PC--2. In notepad type the following. Make sure to erase erroneous entries (i.e. "Enter your Computer Name here"):

[SimConnect]Protocol=IPv4Address=ERASE AND ENTER YOUR FSX PC/SERVER COMPUTER NAME HERE FROM STEP 1 Port=ERASE AND ENTER THE PORT FROM STEP 4MaxReceiveSize=8192DisableNagle=0

3. Go to File > Save. Save in My Documents (XP) Or Documents (Vista/Win7). Save As "SimConnect.cfg" (Including Quotes)4. Download Plan-G onto this PC (client) if you have not already done so. Extract. Right click "Plan-G.exe" and select "Send To... > Desktop (create shortcut)"5. Open My Documents/Documents (Start Menu) and copy "Simconnect.cfg", copy it to the folder containing Plan-G.exe6. Open Plan-G (Test using shortcut on desktop)7. FOR XP: Open My Computer, Click "My Network Places" on the left panel, under "Other Tasks". If you do not have the pane type "My Network Places" (without quotes) in the address bar. Click "View Workgroup Computers" in the right pane under the "Network Tasks". If you set everything up correctly, you should see your server and client PC. If you don't go to the link below or check your firewall settings you use a 3rd party firewall on BOTH PCs. If you use Windows Firewall only and still get this problem go here, do this for "BOTH" PCs:http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/n...up/homenet.mspx -FOR WIN7/VISTA: Open "Computer" in the address bar (The long box that says [Computer] in it), type in "Network". You should see all your Workgroup PCs (give it 10 seconds to load completely). If you do check the links below or check your firewall settings if using a 3rd party one.http://www.home-network-help.com/simple-file-sharing.html (Vista)http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/s...ndows-7-and-xp/ (Between 7 and XP [may also work for Win 7 and Vista])http://techno-planet.net/2009/05/windows-7...e-sharing-easy/ (Between Win 7 and 7)8. In Plan-G, since it uses a new "Ribbion" User Interface, click the top left orb with the yellow plane on it, and click "Options" (bottom right in the menu). First things first, setup simconnect. (Step 9)9. Go to the "FS Connection" tab. Select the "Simconnect" radio button under "General". In Simconnect Settings: Network Mode, select IPv4. In FSX Computer, enter the FSX PC/Server computer name from step 1. In the "Server Port/Pipe" form enter the port (You did right it down like I told you...right? :( :( )----------------------Microsoft Simconnect Setup Information:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc...ConnectProjects[update 0055Z almost done editing, can set using server/fsxpc section now now... when this is removed I finished editing the post]

I agree wholeheartedly.... installed it the other day and I think it's a fantastic addon.

\Robert Hamlich/

I agree wholeheartedly.... installed it the other day and I think it's a fantastic addon.
No dobut about that!! :(---------------Sorry to use bandwidth and post this again, but I ran out of edit time :(. Here is the finished post:Sorry if this is the wrong forum, I'm not sure if this is the right place because its for FSX, and FS9...I have always been looking for a utility that I can use to find weather, look at airpace info, look at VORs, NDBs, VFR Planning,vetc. all in one map, almost like VFR maps, but instead of it being on a big piece of paper, its on a map. The other day I saw this utility on the Tileproxy forum, posted by another member and I wanted to spread the word and introduce more people to it. The utility is called Plan-G and can be found here: http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/ and its freeware, which is AMAZING. We should have more developers like this for FS. The utility is also for FS9 (Through FSUIPC + WideFS) and FSX (Through Simconnect, or FSUIPC + WideFS). I have the utility running on my laptop and its running through simconnect. It took me about an hour to set up the simconnect settings, but it was because I didn't realize some of the settings, I will post my simconnect settings @ the bottom to help people set it up without trouble and spend less time setting up and less time flying. The utility is mainly based of Google Maps. It works be getting the position of your airplane, then it places your plane on an Google Map, as well AI aircraft, airspace, NAVAIDs, Airports. It has a enormous amount of features in addition to the ones above, here are some:
  • Ability to pull weather from nearest airport via FSX (so you know the weather will exactly be what is shown in FSX, also allows weather to be pulled through user-defined or weather themes)
  • Mini Panel: Altimeter, Atitude Indicator, HSI Indicator, Turn Indicator, VSI
  • Ability to edit map quicly, toggle special use airspaces, lower airpace, NDBs, VORs, Large - Med - Small Airports
  • Ability to change measurement (Imperial, Metric), Inches/HG, Millibar, Knots, MPH, KPH, Miles, NM, KM
  • Instruments and data is sent to Plan-G virtually instantly with simconnect (on my laptop view simconnect and my homenetwork, whenever I banked on my desktop, I saw a bank on my laptop with absolutely no lag, simconnect is that fast)
  • Doesn't hit system resources on a sepearte PC (simconnect didn't lower my frames, even though it was sending enormous amounts of data almost instantly)
  • Shows Airspace Info (Type, Restrictions, Class, Altitude(s))
  • Ability to show AI traffic weather it be VATSIM, IVAO, Gamespy or singleplayer!
  • You can see aircraft trails of your aircraft and AI on the map, and also log them
  • CDI that shows course deviation (if you load a flight plan)
  • ... and so much more!!

I highly, recommend this program if you have a second screen, or PC and like to simulate to the fullest or just like or use maps while flying. This utility makes it simple, fun, and easy! If you've never used simconnect (not sure about FSUIPC) you don't need to install FSX on your client (Receiving) PC. To setup on a network, I use Simconnect Config Tool. It makes setting up Simconnect on your FSX (Server PC) much easier. All you must do is download, install, and you can edit away. Once you have it setup, you can access it by going to Start > SimConnect Config Tool.Simconnect Config Tool: http://www.codeplex.com/simconnectconfigtool---------------------------------------------------------------To setup Simconnect (FSX only) and Plan-G through a LOCAL/Home network for newbies (and people that don't want to spend endless hours trying to get simconnect to work):**Your PCs do not have to be running the same version of windows. Just be sure they are either running XP, Vista, and/or Windows 7For your Server/FSX PC1. Find the name of your computer and write it down. -For XP: Go to Control Panel > System > Computer Name. Copy the the "Full Computer Name". If you would like to change the name of your PC, click the 'Change...' Button and edit the computer name. If you know how to setup your Workgroups, make sure both your FSX and client PC are on the same workgroup, and continue. If you do not know how to set up workgroups, spare yourself a restart, and go the "NOTE:" at the bottom of this section. -For Vista/Win 7: Go to the Control Panel (Start Menu) and search "Advance System Settings", click "View advance system....". Go to the "Computer Name" Tab. Click the 'Change...' Button and edit the computer name. If you know how to setup your Workgroups, make sure both your FSX and client PC are on the same workgroup, and continue. If you do not know how to, spare yourself a restart and go the "NOTE:" at the bottom of this section.2. Open Simconnect Config Tool (Start > Simconnect Config Tool) and run.3. Select the radio button that says "Create Custom Simconnect Settings", and also check "Activate custom settings" if not checked.4. Click Add, and select "Local Access (IPv4)". Change the Port Box to any port of your choice, and write down (I chose 4504). Change the Address box to 0.0.0.0 (An IP address of 0.0.0.0 will allow connections through all local PCs in Simconnect's simconnect.xml file. Click 'OK'5. When you are done, hit 'OK' in the main menu. Next you must share FSX on your network. To do this go one level up from your FSX directory (Maybe 32-Bit: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games | 64-Bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games)6. Right click on the "Microsoft Flight Simulator X Folder" (Or if you changed location during the setup of FSX, select the FSX root directory) and select "Properties", and go to the "Sharing" tab On XP: Check 'Share this folder on the network' as well as 'allow network users to change my files'. I recommend naming it Flight Simulator X, but you may name it whatever you like.On Win 7/Vista: Go to "Advanced Sharing (If you do not do this, Plan-G may not work correctly), Select 'Share this folder', and name "Flight Simulator X". Under "permissions", highlight "Everyone" and click 'full control'. Click 'OK' twice, then hit 'Apply' if not grayed out, then hit 'Close'--To be able to access flight plans on the client PC-- Follow step #6 on your server/fsxpc, but instead go to Documents (Vista/Win7)/My Documents (XP) and right click the "Flight Simulator X Files" (Or wherever you store your flight plans) and share as [i recommend] "Flight Simulator X FPs")--NOTE: Make sure your Server/FSX PC and client/receiver PC or on the SAME workgroup. Instructions directly below:XP: Go to your control Panel, click "System", go to Computer Name, click "Change...". Select the 'WORKGROUP' radio button and type in a name and right it down (I recommend entering in a name only you know, IF your on a non secure wireless router/network.). Click OK reboot. Do the same for the client, EXCEPT, type in the same name for the workgroup.Vista/XP: Go to your Control Panel, and search "Computer name". Click "Rename this computer" then click "Change..." Select the 'WORKGROUP' radio button and type in a name and right it down (I recommend entering in a name only you know, IF your on a non secure wireless router/network.). Click OK reboot. Do the same for the client, EXCEPT, type in the same name for the workgroup---------------------For your client/receiving PCNote: For simconnect there is NO NEED to insall FSX. Just make sure you install the Simconnect files ( http://updates.justflight.info/jf/FSX/SimConnect.zip )1. First off, open Notepad (Start > Accessories > Notepad).--We are going to setup simconnect on the client PC, so it knows where to look for the FSX PC--2. In notepad type the following. Make sure to erase erroneous entries (i.e. "Enter your Computer Name here"):

[SimConnect]Protocol=IPv4Address=ERASE AND ENTER YOUR FSX PC/SERVER COMPUTER NAME HERE FROM STEP 1 Port=ERASE AND ENTER THE PORT FROM STEP 4MaxReceiveSize=8192DisableNagle=0

3. Go to File > Save. Save in My Documents (XP) Or Documents (Vista/Win7). Save As "SimConnect.cfg" (Including Quotes)4. Download Plan-G onto this PC (client) if you have not already done so. Extract. Right click "Plan-G.exe" and select "Send To... > Desktop (create shortcut)"5. Open My Documents/Documents (Start Menu) and copy "Simconnect.cfg", copy it to the folder containing Plan-G.exe6. Open Plan-G (Test using shortcut on desktop)7. FOR XP: Open My Computer, Click "My Network Places" on the left panel, under "Other Tasks". If you do not have the pane type "My Network Places" (without quotes) in the address bar. Click "View Workgroup Computers" in the right pane under the "Network Tasks". If you set everything up correctly, you should see your server and client PC. If you don't go to the link below or check your firewall settings you use a 3rd party firewall on BOTH PCs. If you use Windows Firewall only and still get this problem go here, do this for "BOTH" PCs:http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/n...up/homenet.mspx -FOR WIN7/VISTA: Open "Computer" in the address bar (The long box that says [Computer] in it), type in "Network". You should see all your Workgroup PCs (give it 10 seconds to load completely). If you do check the links below or check your firewall settings if using a 3rd party one.http://www.home-network-help.com/simple-file-sharing.html (Vista)http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/s...ndows-7-and-xp/ (Between 7 and XP [may also work for Win 7 and Vista])http://techno-planet.net/2009/05/windows-7...e-sharing-easy/ (Between Win 7 and 7)8. In Plan-G, since it uses a new "Ribbion" User Interface, click the top left orb with the yellow plane on it, and click "Options" (bottom right in the menu). First things first, setup simconnect. (Step 9)9. Go to the "FS Connection" tab. Select the "Simconnect" radio button under "General". In Simconnect Settings: Network Mode, select IPv4. In FSX Computer, enter the FSX PC/Server computer name from step 1. In the "Server Port/Pipe" form enter the port (You did right it down like I told you...right? .Your almost done!!!!10. Go to "Locations" tab next. In the"FSX Program" form, click "Browse". In the "File Name" box, type "\\" (without quotes) then the name of the FSXPC/SERVER and hit 'Enter'. You should now see the shared folders on your FSX PC, select the shared folder in which Flight Simulator is installed (Your FSX root directory. If you used my suggestion it will be "\\YOURFSXPCNAME\Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe" (sans quotes). Next locate your FSX Scenery.cfg under FSX location. Click Browse. Next to the form for the file location type "\\YOURFSXPCNAME\Flight Simulator X\scenery.cfg" (sans quotes).12. Hit 'OK' Go to "Data" on the ribbon (the ribbon is the whole section at the top that spans across the screen). And click "Build FSX database" it may take 5-10 minutes, be patient. I know we're almost done and you want to fly, I'm sorry :(.11. Run FSX on the server PC and load up the default flight. Now on your client PC in Plan-G click "Connect" on the ribbon . If you copied everything correctly and entered everything correctly in the options screen, it should connect without problems and you should see the a yellow plane on the map!!!! If you do not check if you wrote and entered everything correctly, and check ports on your firewall. You are now done. Enjoy Plan-G, and you can finally fly The best way to learn the program without doing further reading (B)) is experimenting, messing around with it.**To load a flight plan go to the "Orb" and click "Open Flight Plan". You can also edit a flight plan inside Plan-G (consult the manual where your Plan-G.exe is. It should be named "Plan-G Manual.pdf" To access flight plans on your FSX PC (ORB > Open Flight Plan) type in the form next to File Name: \\YOURFSXPCNAME\YOURSHAREDFPFOLDERNAME (If you used my suggestion it should be \\YOURFSXPCNAME\Flight Simulator X FPs) **To be able to access flight plans on the client PC-- Follow step #6 (server section) on your server/fsxpc, but instead go to Documents (Vista/Win7)/My Documents (XP) and right click the "Flight Simulator X Files" (Or wherever you store your flight plans) and share as [i recommend] "Flight Simulator X FPs")----------------------Microsoft Simconnect Setup Information:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc...ConnectProjects[0146Z, Finshed editing post. Enjoy Plan-G, You can now use the guide to connect using simconnect!]

There will be an update available in a day or three -- we're just finishing up the new manual. ILS feathers, intersections, vertical route profiling and lots of other bits, bobs & fixes And a completely new web site too. Look out for the announcement. :(

There will be an update available in a day or three -- we're just finishing up the new manual. ILS feathers, intersections, vertical route profiling and lots of other bits, bobs & fixes And a completely new web site too. Look out for the announcement. :(
:( , That sounds great! I'm an ILS addict so to see which airports have an ILS by looking at the maps, would make life easier. Thanks for the awesome program and making your contributions to the flight sim community, your utility makes using FSX a lot easier (no more printing out maps :(), realistic, and fun!! B)

Plan-G 0.9 has been released if you didn't know yet!!! (12 Jan 09) Check the site for the new version.