Sign in to follow this  
FalconAF

nVidia 3D Surround Gaming GPU Coming

Although this is probably more applicable to the Hardware Forum, I thought I'd post it here first for an initial wider disemination.nVidia officially announced today at the CES show in Las Vegas the development of their new GF100 series GPU. Details are still sketchy at best, but as a minimum it will support 3-wide monitor Surround Gaming, and 3D. Supposedly without the need for Display Port Adapters to handle the bandwidth requirements for widescreen monitors. Also, they said the new technology will support the CURRENT GT200 series cards for Surround Gaming and (maybe?) 3D. For 3D, 120Hz refresh rate monitors will be needed. But if you want only 2D, it looks like the GT200 series cards are going to work with standard LCD 60Hz monitors.Quite a bit of buzz about it taking place on the Widescreen Gaming Forums. Here's a link to the main topic about it, and it's growing fast.http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum...=76&t=18000No doubt nVidia is taking on ATI's EyeFinity with this. But it will probably spell the end of Matrox's TripleHead2Go platform as far as 2D Surround Gaming is concerned.Planned release is as early as Q1 2010...the next couple months. Don't buy that new TH2G setup yet, or the ATI EyeFinity, if you prefer to stay with nVidia for Surround Gaming and FSX.FalconAF

Rick Ryan

Although this is probably more applicable to the Hardware Forum, I thought I'd post it here first for an initial wider disemination.nVidia officially announced today at the CES show in Las Vegas the development of their new GF100 series GPU. Details are still sketchy at best, but as a minimum it will support 3-wide monitor Surround Gaming, and 3D. Supposedly without the need for Display Port Adapters to handle the bandwidth requirements for widescreen monitors. Also, they said the new technology will support the CURRENT GT200 series cards for Surround Gaming and (maybe?) 3D. For 3D, 120Hz refresh rate monitors will be needed. But if you want only 2D, it looks like the GT200 series cards are going to work with standard LCD 60Hz monitors.Quite a bit of buzz about it taking place on the Widescreen Gaming Forums. Here's a link to the main topic about it, and it's growing fast.http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum...=76&t=18000No doubt nVidia is taking on ATI's EyeFinity with this. But it will probably spell the end of Matrox's TripleHead2Go platform as far as 2D Surround Gaming is concerned.Planned release is as early as Q1 2010...the next couple months. Don't buy that new TH2G setup yet, or the ATI EyeFinity, if you prefer to stay with nVidia for Surround Gaming and FSX.FalconAF
Lots of chat in the site link. I have the single 3d monitor and appropriate card and glasses and I think that this is going to be the wave of the future. The monitor has to be set for 120 Hz, not every monitor is capable of processing the info. The surround gaming idea would likely be astonishing given how fun the one monitor can be. Once I saw this and purchased my system at Christmas, it was apparant to me that this is where the technology is going to head and fast, 3d regular digital TV and more.My whole flying experience has been greatly enhanced by the 3d, landings and takeoffs are so much more fun as things swish by you, finally having a depth of field to the scenery. The only flaw I have found is the darkening of the monitor through the glasses. One must adjust a monitor to be brighter to give a more realistic lighting.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Yeah, but as more info develops, I'm not sure I'm sold on it yet as a Surround Gaming solution for FSX. Looks now like you would need 2 of the GF100 cards in SLI configuration for a 3D Surround setup, like a 3-wide monitor TH2G setup. That's 2 cards, and 3 new 120Hz monitors. Plus they are talking about the issue of the heat generation of the cards, etc, requiring a new cooling solution that may require an expanded system case. Beginning to sound like a verry expensive proposition to get there.Time will tell.

Rick Ryan