Sign in to follow this  
jstonehouse

New Outer Terrain Textures

I've just uploaded a beta version of some new outer terrain textures to the Avsim Library. No water transitions yet, but the GENTILES.TAG file contains 19 new base textures, plus variation and transition textures. Also included in the zip are a new RULES.TXT file and a full set of GTL tiles, for those who don't want to generate their own tiles. Water transitions will follow next month: I need to produce about 100 or so but they take time...As regards the match-up to the Seattle high-res region, it's a bit hit-and-miss at the moment. Mountainous areas (i.e. the western border - see screenshots) fare better than, for example, the area north of Paine Field. There's still work to do here... In general, hilly areas really look much better than they did with the original LGS textures. Plains and flatlands less so, as rules can only provide so much variation. Try a flight around the Grand Canyon and the mountains west of Seattle.I've provided this beta version in the hope that someone will have a go at improving the rules while I work on the water transitions: the mid-west in particular still looks fairly barren.RegardsJonathan S.flt3036.jpg flt3032.jpgflt3028.jpgflt3037.jpgflt3030.jpgflt3025.jpgflt3023.jpgflt3022.jpg

Hi Jonathan,Congrats , especially the transition to the high resolution tiles looks good :-)Hope my tool can handle the extensions. :( Andre

Hi Jonathan,Congrats , especially the transition to the high resolution tiles looks good :-)Hope my tool can handle the extensions. :( Andre
Thanks Andre! Hopefully someone will have a go at improving my quick-and-dirty new rules! This reminds me, I forgot to list the terrain type identifiers in the RULES.TXT file:a = agricultureb = suburbanc = canyond = dark foreste = earthf = forestg = grassh = high deserti = highlandsj = fieldsk = marshl = light forestm = mesan = chaparralo = orchardp = puebloq = spring tundrar = meadows = snowt = grassy hillu = urbanv = salt flatsw = waterx = forest/snow mixy = parched desertz = winter tundraRegardsJonathan S.