Sign in to follow this  
Tony P

EZDOK -- rocks!

Hi Marniftarr! Is there any chance a more simple (and cheaper ) version will be released that only gives the movement options...? I know a lot of people only want or need that! And did you see this topic:== Hi ! Not. Because motion effects are impossible without creation of the cameras manager .. I can not read camera name from Sim and can not attach vibration to default cameras ! Otherwise there will be one effect of jolting for all cameras for the External views and VC simultaneously. I do not think that it will be pleasant for anybody.For make simple addon I should know at least 3 items:1. Current type of the camera.. 2 Current name of the camera.. 3 When the user has changed the camera...(event) 4. Current camera coordinates. Any of these parametres simconnect does not give. Creation only simple vibration addon is impossible without reading those parameters....where quite some people say they will buy EZCA as soon as it will work completely with TrackIR? I heard you are working on that, right?===About TR i say here: http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_post...D=196050#196050It is no good situation for integration TR to EZCA now.

Hi Marniftarr! Is there any chance a more simple (and cheaper ) version will be released that only gives the movement options...? I know a lot of people only want or need that! And did you see this topic:== Hi ! Not. Because motion effects are impossible without creation of the cameras manager .. I can not read camera name from Sim and can not attach vibration to default cameras ! Otherwise there will be one effect of jolting for all cameras for the External views and VC simultaneously. I do not think that it will be pleasant for anybody.For make simple addon I should know at least 3 items:1. Current type of the camera.. 2 Current name of the camera.. 3 When the user has changed the camera...(event) 4. Current camera coordinates. Any of these parametres simconnect does not give. Creation only simple vibration addon is impossible without reading those parameters....where quite some people say they will buy EZCA as soon as it will work completely with TrackIR? I heard you are working on that, right?===About TR i say here: http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_post...D=196050#196050It is no good situation for integration TR to EZCA now.
Thanks for the replay, Marniftarr. I now fully understand it's not possible to make a simple version. Thanks for making that clear!

Okay, I bought it, I have Track-IR too, but can't always be bothered to use it, so this is a nice lazy alternative. Despite the manual making it sound like it's a pain in the &@($* to set up, it's actually not, I just left it on the default settings and the only thing you have to do is get it to rejig itself if you install a new aircraft. It's pretty nice, and it does add a nice subtle but convincing effect. Very good for open cockpit stuff at low level, not tried it in an airliner yet, but I daresay it will be as good.Al
I'm posting this here because I'm not registered over at the Flight1.com support forum for EZDOK. At the EZDOK support forum the members are encouraging each other to petition TrackIR to work with the EZDOK company to integrate the two products. There is some talk on the forum that TIR is holding back software from EZDOK that would allow the integration or that TIR may be planning to develop effects for TIR similar to EZDOK. Following the forum members suggestion, I emailed TIR (giving my phone number) to encourage the two companies work together. They called me within the hour to explain why they can't supply EZDOK with what EZDOK needs to make it TIR compatible. Not being a software person alot of what the gentleman told me went over my head, but it sounds like there is no SDK, per se, for TIR. It sounds like they do not have an in-house software design team and are mainly hardware oriented. They said they do not have the personnel to develop a EZDOK type effect nor do they plan to. It's not they don't want to work with EZDOK, it's just that they don't think they have anything to give them that would help the effort. My apologies to TIR is I got any of his explanation wrong. I suggested to the person I talked to at TIR that they post the information they discussed with me on some of the sim forums such as this one or over at Flight1.com to provide information on the current situation between the two companies.Anyway, maybe some here who is registered at the EZDOK support forum over at Flight1.com can copy and paste this info. Thanks.

I have a TrackIR 4 Pro, and after getting EZDok, have pretty much decided just to put it (TIR) up on ebay and sell it off. I'm not big on having to to hook up too much stuff to get into my flying. EZdok is, for me, much easier to use since I can just press buttons on my X52 to change views, and use the hat to quickly scan the cockpit, and such. With TrackIR I don't really like that feeling of having to keep my head still all the time. I move my head a lot, looking at things in my room, (the clock, the x52 throttle etc) and I didn't like the way the screen jerks when I do. For me, Ezdok is just a better camera solution, and I don't feel the need for both.

Guest NOK

Interesting observations and opinions!Maybe we should encourage the brilliant EZDOK guys to follow their own vision instead.I don't have TIR or EZCA - and was thinking buying both, but if EZCA actually can do the same as TIR, I'll buy that.TIR is way too expensive IMO, and apparently there are lots of issues with headmovements, how to keep centered etc.

Guest NaturalPoint_Vince
I'm posting this here because I'm not registered over at the Flight1.com support forum for EZDOK. At the EZDOK support forum the members are encouraging each other to petition TrackIR to work with the EZDOK company to integrate the two products. There is some talk on the forum that TIR is holding back software from EZDOK that would allow the integration or that TIR may be planning to develop effects for TIR similar to EZDOK. Following the forum members suggestion, I emailed TIR (giving my phone number) to encourage the two companies work together. They called me within the hour to explain why they can't supply EZDOK with what EZDOK needs to make it TIR compatible. Not being a software person alot of what the gentleman told me went over my head, but it sounds like there is no SDK, per se, for TIR. It sounds like they do not have an in-house software design team and are mainly hardware oriented. They said they do not have the personnel to develop a EZDOK type effect nor do they plan to. It's not they don't want to work with EZDOK, it's just that they don't think they have anything to give them that would help the effort. My apologies to TIR is I got any of his explanation wrong. I suggested to the person I talked to at TIR that they post the information they discussed with me on some of the sim forums such as this one or over at Flight1.com to provide information on the current situation between the two companies.Anyway, maybe some here who is registered at the EZDOK support forum over at Flight1.com can copy and paste this info. Thanks.
Posted by NP_Seth, on the simforums site - http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=33846NP_Seth - Hi all, I just wanted to clarify our position briefly. I did have a short discussion with Steve from Flight One last month. Here is what I told him: "Unfortunately, our hands are pretty tied here. TrackIR is supported via SimConnect, so we don

I have a TrackIR 4 Pro, and after getting EZDok, have pretty much decided just to put it (TIR) up on ebay and sell it off. I'm not big on having to to hook up too much stuff to get into my flying. EZdok is, for me, much easier to use since I can just press buttons on my X52 to change views, and use the hat to quickly scan the cockpit, and such. With TrackIR I don't really like that feeling of having to keep my head still all the time. I move my head a lot, looking at things in my room, (the clock, the x52 throttle etc) and I didn't like the way the screen jerks when I do. For me, Ezdok is just a better camera solution, and I don't feel the need for both.
That's really interesting. When I started reading this thread, I didn't have any intention of trying EZDok. I've been a regular TrackIR user (4, then 5) for about three years. But it sounds as though, in some respects, the turbulence and head latency effects are better in EZDok. And I have to admit that in my favorite ride, the A2A Cub, trying to grab the mag switch while using Track IR is sort of a pain. Yeah, I know, it's easy to hit F9 and freeze the view but that always feels a little unnatural for some reason.So, my question - has anyone other than ziffel switched completely from TrackIR to EZDok? If so, did you find the transition difficult? Did you try EZDok, then go back to TrackIR?Not looking for anything definitive, just trying to get a sense of people's experiences.Thanks in advance.Best,Alan

I've not ditched Track-IR because I use it in other flight sims, but in FSX, EZDOK is good when you can't be arsed cranking Track-IR up and sticking that hat or clip thing on, so I'm using it a lot in FSX.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Alan (St Ex), something to note about my experience, is that ALL of this stuff, including FSX itself is pretty new to me. I've only had TrackIR a few weeks. With 3 years of being accustomed to TIR under your belt, you may try EZdok, have a laugh, then go back to your TrackIR. I don't know. I'm not recommending anyone switch. I bought TrackIR because a good friend SWEARS by it, and loves it. I bought it and really, just don't care for it all that much. I mean it's kind of neat, but I don't like that feeling of having to remain relatively still, or else have the screen go haywire with head movement. In EZdok, I can set the pan speed of the VC, and really zip around the cockpit smoothly and quickly. I also love various camera angles, and that cinematic feel you get from the different views, so Ezdok allowing me to create my own is just too cool. Then of course, there's the bounce & shake effects, which are really sharp, and add a lot to the immersion level. Obviously you've asked for others' opinions already, but I just wanted to say to take my post with good dose of salt and a shot of whiskey. :(

Guest krswen

I too would be interested in hearing how it compares with TrackIR plus something like ASE which is supposed to have improved turbulence. Sounds intriguing though. Especially with FFB (I have a G940 which is fantastic when used with FSForce). I also have a Buttkicker in the basement which I should hook back up. Could be really an experience!krswen

I too would be interested in hearing how it compares with TrackIR plus something like ASE which is supposed to have improved turbulence. Sounds intriguing though. Especially with FFB (I have a G940 which is fantastic when used with FSForce). I also have a Buttkicker in the basement which I should hook back up. Could be really an experience!krswen
Funny you should mention the G940 and FS Force. I just picked up the G940 last month, and it's great. However, one of my challenges with TrackIR at the moment is that it doesn't always get along with FS Force - my guess is that there's some sort of obscure SimConnect conflict going on. But much more often than before, I find now that Track IR will lock up and I have to exit FSX, exit, then relaunch Track IR, and sometimes disconnect and re-connect the TrackClipPro. It's not hard to do - it only happens when first loading a flight, and all my connections are at the front of the case - but it's one more step to go through, so of course as a fickle FSX user I'm thinking of alternatives.I can vouch for the turbulence in ASE - it's really well done, better than in ASA. Now, if that plus EZDok would give me an improved version of the turbulence-related head latency I used to get out of FS9, Active Sky 6 and ActiveCamera, I'd have to think about it. I guess the question is, can I go back to panning via the joystick, as opposed to using TrackIR to look around? Hard to know without trying, so I might just have to do that and, if it doesn't work out, take advantage of the Flight1 30-day guarantee.If I give it a try, I'll report back.Will now talk to myself a little more about it and see what I say...Best,Alan

I guess the question is, can I go back to panning via the joystick, as opposed to using TrackIR to look around? Hard to know without trying, so I might just have to do that and, if it doesn't work out, take advantage of the Flight1 30-day guarantee.
I couldn

When I use Track IR, it is on sims where I think it is necessary, for me that would be mostly in the gliding sims I have (Condor and Silent Wings), and to be honest, that is for a very specific safety-related reason; i.e, so that I don't get into the bad habit of not looking to see if I am clear of other aircraft before making a turn. If I picked up a bad habit like that in a sim and transferred to my real flying, would be a very dangerous thing indeed, since I often fly in very close proximity to other aircraft when gliding in real life. Thus, Track-IR keeps me in the habit of moving my head before moving the stick. For that, Track-IR is (quite literally) a lifesaver.But for airliners in FSX, I don't really see the need for Track-IR, since I'm being vectored about and don't have to keep up a VFR scan if I don't want to, and I tend to use the mouse and space bar to look around the panel in the VC, so Track-IR isn't that useful for head-down instrument stuff either. For this kind of sim flying, EZDOK has really made things a lot better in my opinion, as it simply makes an airliner VC a lot more of a believable environment.Track-IR is of course indispensable for air combat sims, where there is no better substitute, so even if I did not use it as a safety thing for my glider sims, I'd still keep Track-IR for that.In short, EZDOK and Track-IR are different tools for different jobs as far as I'm concerned.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I got my TrackIR plugged in and on the monitor all the time and the Clip is always on my headphone which I also always use. So I don't have to do anything to get TrackIR working, apart from launching the program. So this could never be a reason for me not to use it. A choice between TIR or EZCA also depends on how you use the sim. I never ever leave the VC while flying, so I don't care for fancy cinematic views. I want to be able to look around the VC without having to think about it: with TrackIR I can look around as I could in real life, while using a hat isn't as real to me. I though about setting up views with EZCA but it will never be as real as Track IR... And btw I don't have the idea I have to sit still with the TrackIR all the time at all...! I guess this also has to do with how you setup the Track IR sensitivity...? The only thing I do not like about Track IR is that I constantly have to re-center the view... When I move around and come back to the default view, it often is off, which is a bit annoying, even though I have the center button on my joystick.

And I have to admit that in my favorite ride, the A2A Cub, trying to grab the mag switch while using Track IR is sort of a pain. Yeah, I know, it's easy to hit F9 and freeze the view but that always feels a little unnatural for some reason.
I think grabbing and clickong knobs will be even harder with EZCA because your view moves ALL the time...! Anyway, I don't think I'll buy it just for those moving effects... specially now full compatibiliy with TrackIR is out of the question.