Sign in to follow this  
1st fltsimguy

FSX Reinstall - Nightmare

I really need some help here.I got new i7 920 high end computer for Christmas. Installed my FSX and Acceleration and setup my new 3D GTX 260 Video Card. I followed the FSX setup procedures that are available her in these forums. Very carefully. I started adding freeware and payware including the new GEX, FTX PNW. Everything was totally humming - it was a thing of beauty. Thanks to an email from family member I had a major compromise and corruption that got past my Norton 360. My machine was totally scrambled all restore points lost. I had to do a complete recovery, trust me I tried everything before falling to my knees crying (so to speak). All my installations (as you probably know) were screwed and I had to do everything all over again. It has taken me days to get back functioning again.But since my FSX was installed on a separate drive I thought I could just launch the program from the application exe. No joy. I used a registry fix and now my FSX starts up but goes into demo mode. I did a clean install of my FSX onto another drive and registered successfully. But when I tried to start up the old FSX from the other drive is still goes into demo mode and with all my payware and freeware working and with Acceleration interface and the Acceleration addons working.Please, please tell me that there is a way to not have to reinstall the entire frigging FSX from ground zero? I am already totally depressed over this affair, days of restoring all my applications.I see no way of activating FSX and Acceleration except via a completely new install. Right now, I hate MS so much you can't imagine! My wife just dropped into my office and asked what was the matter (perhaps it was my lengthy sentence of colourful language).

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

In order to avoid such troubles I am working with images. Whenever the system is corrupted and can't be easily fixed, then I simply restore the latest healthy image. I use Acronis True Image Home 2010to handle my images under Windows 7 64 bit.

Best regards from RelaxX

In order to avoid such troubles I am working with images. Whenever the system is corrupted and can't be easily fixed, then I simply restore the latest healthy image. I use Acronis True Image Home 2010to handle my images under Windows 7 64 bit.
Good point!So given the lack of any sympathic solutions proposed, I might be hooped.However, here is my next attempt. I have renamed my original folder for FSX. I will do a complete reinstall of FSX and Acceleration and activate into the same portable HD my system is currently installed on. That should put all the appropriate info in the registry. I will then rename the new install to something useless AND rename my old folder back to the same as the original install. In theory when the system looks for the FSX it will find it in the correct folder. I wonder if there are some files I would need to copy over from the old to the new?Oh well, if anyone has any inclination to provide some advice its most welcome.

Near CAM3

It could help to uninstall the FSX completely before you do a new FSX installation. Here is a tutorial how to uninstall FSX in a correct manner: http://support.precisionmanuals.com/KB/a87...nstall-fsx.aspxJust start to work with images today!
For the benefit of anyone else with this issue: After a complete Win7 recovery losing ability to play FSX (loaded onto an indendent HD not the system C: drive) and not wanting to reinstall the entire system and addons. Loss of all activation, registry etc.I have my FSX installed on a 500 gig drive with plenty of extra space.1. I renamed my FSX folder to "Flight Simulation 10>Original Install"2. found the FSX configure files and such under Appdata>Microsoft>FSX, copied them to a back up location.2. I reinstalled FSX, activated, FSX Acceleration, activated into a folder on the same HD named "Flight Simulation 10"3. started up FSX of course during the install4. left the new clean install on my computer but renamed the folder "Flight Simulation - Clean Install"5 Renamed the origninal install back to the name of the clean install "Flight Simulation 10.6 Copied over the FSX configure files back into the Appdata location, replace the files that were newly installed.7 Fired up my FSX, let it build the scenery indexes etc. Found that I have to rebuild the Scenery Library, which was fairly easy just took a cup of coffee of point and click.8. Had to locate my configure files for GEX etc. And reintall my FTX-PNW, everything connect perfectly and my FSX if fully registered again without having to completey rebuild everything.While this might seem a bit round about it was actually very quick and it worked and I have all my settings and my FSX humming again.

Near CAM3

I did the same thing immediately after installing FSX the first time after beta testing was completed and I got the RTM iso d/l files...In fact, i have three versions of FSX installed now:E:\FSX - SP2 VirginF:\FSX - SP2 TestingG:\FSX - AccelerationI can only install new stuff that reads the Registry to the last folder of course, but I keep the ..\FSX - SP2 Virgin around for quick repairs if something goes FUBAR. The ..\FSX - SP2 Testing version is used to test works-in-progress as needed. ;)Glad to hear you got your's sorted out now!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator