Sign in to follow this  
guenseli

Tutorial: Lowering VC Engine sounds

Here is a little Tutorial to lower the J41 engine sounds.It would be simpler to upload the modified sounds somewhere, but I think that PMDG isn't amused about that.So, do it yourself!Disclaimer: you will know it, don't do things you aren't absolutely sure about it!Don't blame anybody - not me, not PMDG!Backup, backup, backup!1)Go to your Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\PMDG_JS4100\Sound folder and back it up!2)be sure, you have backed up this folder on a save place3)download and install Audacityhttp://audacity.sourceforge.net/run audacity4)create a new batch processing (chain)auda1.jpg5)click "ADD" and give it an imaginative nameauda2.jpg6)- select your new batch (it should be already) and double-click on "END"- double-click on "AMPLIFY" in the upcoming menu- then click on "EDIT PARAMETERS"auda3.jpg7)set a value in "AMPLIFICATION".I have choosen "-10". Its your choice, I'm happy with it(my FSX sound setting is always engines etc at 50% and voice at 100%)- click "OK"auda4.jpg8)double click at "EXPORTWAV" and then "OK"auda5.jpg9)now your chain look like this:auda7.jpg10)close this window and go to "files" again and select "APPLY CHAIN"auda8.jpg11)- select your new chain and click on "APPLY TO FILES..."- select all the files you want to change in the J41 sound folderI have only selected the *jet*"-files, but I think you can select allBe sure that you haven't selected the "SOUND.CFG"press "OPEN" and the batch process starts....auda9.jpg11)Audacity have created a "cleaned" folder.There are the new modified WAV files!auda10.jpgSelect them all and copy them into your J41 sound folder(This was your last chance for a backup!)Say "yes, we can" to overwrite.Thats all!If it is still to loud than go back to step 1 and change the amplify parameter to e.g. -15....Enjoy!

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for this guide, it works great!Toby

Ryzen 5800X3D, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, Windows 10, Varjo Aero, DOF H3

Here is a little Tutorial to lower the J41 engine sounds.It would be simpler to upload the modified sounds somewhere, but I think that PMDG isn't amused about that.So, do it yourself!Disclaimer: you will know it, don't do things you aren't absolutely sure about it!Don't blame anybody - not me, not PMDG!Backup, backup, backup!1)Go to your Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\PMDG_JS4100\Sound folder and back it up!2)be sure, you have backed up this folder on a save place3)download and install Audacityhttp://audacity.sourceforge.net/run audacity4)create a new batch processing (chain)auda1.jpg5)click "ADD" and give it an imaginative nameauda2.jpg6)- select your new batch (it should be already) and double-click on "END"- double-click on "AMPLIFY" in the upcoming menu- then click on "EDIT PARAMETERS"auda3.jpg7)set a value in "AMPLIFICATION".I have choosen "-10". Its your choice, I'm happy with it(my FSX sound setting is always engines etc at 50% and voice at 100%)- click "OK"auda4.jpg8)double click at "EXPORTWAV" and then "OK"auda5.jpg9)now your chain look like this:auda7.jpg10)close this window and go to "files" again and select "APPLY CHAIN"auda8.jpg11)- select your new chain and click on "APPLY TO FILES..."- select all the files you want to change in the J41 sound folderI have only selected the *jet*"-files, but I think you can select allBe sure that you haven't selected the "SOUND.CFG"press "OPEN" and the batch process starts....auda9.jpg11)Audacity have created a "cleaned" folder.There are the new modified WAV files!auda10.jpgSelect them all and copy them into your J41 sound folder(This was your last chance for a backup!)Say "yes, we can" to overwrite.Thats all!If it is still to loud than go back to step 1 and change the amplify parameter to e.g. -15....Enjoy!
Hi Guenter,Maybe a stupid question, but what problem do you solve with this solution?Did I missed something?Eric

It isn't meant to fix any problems or issues, just as a training tool for people that want to midify their sounds. Back when Guenter wrote this we had several posts from people wanting to know and one specific thread with numerous questions about it.We see people ask all the time to do it like here is the most recent: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/299274-747-sounds/To each their own.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

@ toby: thank you!@ Eric:As Dans says, some people (me too) want the J41 turbine sounds more silenced.Its not the discussion if that is real or if it makes sense, but comparing to other addons, if I load up the J41 I have to lower my PC sound because its really, really loud! (thinking about my wife in the next room :( )And this was the intention of the little tutorial...I have made it for myself and wanted just to share the way how to do it...So, if you like I will call that S.W.A.T.(Silencing Wife Annoyance Tutorial)

Guenter Steiner

Hehe, SWAT. I like it

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

@ toby: thank you!@ Eric:As Dans says, some people (me too) want the J41 turbine sounds more silenced.Its not the discussion if that is real or if it makes sense, but comparing to other addons, if I load up the J41 I have to lower my PC sound because its really, really loud! (thinking about my wife in the next room :( )And this was the intention of the little tutorial...I have made it for myself and wanted just to share the way how to do it...So, if you like I will call that S.W.A.T.(Silencing Wife Annoyance Tutorial)
Ok I see. Thanks for the explanation.I'm blessed with a great house Big%20Grin.gif.So no S.W.A.T. for me neededEric

Greetings guenseli: Whenever I see one of your tutorials I always check it out. This is another really good one...thanks a ton. I could never have done anything with those engine sounds on my own. Your LUA scripts are excellent too. Many thanksNeal H

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

Thanks for your warm words!Thanks and greetings are always very welcome! :(

Guenter Steiner

Guest harryrupert

Hi Guenter, I started this post earlier today as I did not understand the program so all is well sorry to have bothered you so I have edited my reply.My apologies Guenter, my brain is now awake and I understand all thanks very much indeed its now working with a much better level of sound.ThanksHarry :(

Hi,

is it possible to upload screenshots in above tutorial? I have non-english version of Audacity and have problem with understanding procedure. I will be thankful.

Lucas

I'm sorry, I do not have these pictures any more ...

Guenter Steiner