Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

2-D Cockpit View Bug in SP1?

Guest mimarsinan

There seems to be a bug with this build...could you please confirm or deny?I use 2-D cockpits and when flying I often press the W key to hide all the instrument panels, then use the numeric keypad arrow buttons with Numlock turned on to look around (ex: behind me) when I am flying (ex: taking off, to get a nice view of the runway). This used to work but now I just see the 2-D plane cockpit itself, even when no instrument panels are showing (hidden with the W key).Is there a workaround for this? I uninstalled the patch and it started working again. I reinstalled the patch and it stopped working again. So, please advise.It does seem to be a patch issue, which is a shame, because except for increased blurries, the patch does seem to make the game run smoother.

Yes me too, I have found it quite annoying, especially when flying over a nice area and when trying to look straight down you get a very nice pic of the seat cushion. I have tried searching for a fix but nothing yet....see own aircraft= 0 doesnt work, panel off in cockpit camera thingy doesnt work. It looks like it goes to virtual cokpit mode when you try and switch to anything other than fwd. Any advice guys.Also have the blurries problem now too.Athlon 64 3400+7600gs 512mb2 gig ramGary

Guest Tarmack2

Gentlemen,I just found a fix for this 2D problem....solved by guru Luciano Napolitano of WidevieW fame.....here is a link to his discovery and if you use Method 1.....all will be well in your world!http://www.wideview.it/fsx_sp1.htm Regards,Cap'n Tarmack>Have the same issue.

Thanks Mel. Hope all is well with you.Best,Howard

Howard

Jetline Systems: Intel 8th Gen Core i7 8700K (4.8GHz Overclock); GTX 1080 Ti; LG Curved UltraWide 3440x1440 Monitor

Hey Cap'n Thanks for the Link.With more people turning to cockpit and small desktop simulators requiring complete outside views, I have no idea why aces would go down that road. Maybe it was just an oversight but the beta team should have picked that one up right away....Shame on them.Gary

This might work for those folks who want no virtual cockpit at all, ever.. In my case I use the virtual cockpit, a lot, but wouldstill like to have the option to switch to the 2d cockpit and theopen view we've had for umpteen releases of MSFS !

Bert

Hi all.There is a fix that adds a new menu item to the Cockpit view. It would be called Landscape.You have to edit the Camers.cfg file.First, backup the FSX Cameras.cfg as Cameras.cfg.origNow edit the Cameras.cfg by adding a view:[CameraDefinition.012]Title = LandscapeGuid = {C11E251E-9892-43ad-8E4A-70FA6C3C26BA}Description = A landscape view.Origin = CenterShowPanel = NoSnapPbhAdjust = OrdinalSnapPbhReturn = YesPanPbhAdjust = OrdinalPanPbhReturn = YesTrack = NoneShowAxis = FrontOnlyAllowZoom = NoInitialZoom = 1.0SmoothZoomTime = 2.0ShowWeather = YesXyzAdjust = YesInitialXyz=0.0, 0.0, -10.0ShowLensFlare=NoCategory = CockpitNow save this, and delete the Camera.cfg in your "C:Documents and SettingsYourNameApplication DataMicrosoftFSX" folder.FSX will rebuild that CFG file to this location, and it will have a ew entry in the ViewCockpit menu. Landscape.The view is 10 meters below the actual pilot's seat, and doesn't show any of the aircraft.Dick

Guest Tarmack2

Gary,You are more than welcome for the workaround....and my info has it that the beta team had NO idea of this change....it was NOT in Beta4 of the SP1....it only appeared when SP1 was released.It would be nice to hear of any good reason that they did this.Cap'n Tarmack>Hey Cap'n Thanks for the Link.>>With more people turning to cockpit and small desktop>simulators requiring complete outside views, I have no idea>why aces would go down that road. Maybe it was just an>oversight but the beta team should have picked that one up>right away....Shame on them.>>Gary

Guest mimarsinan

To me, not having a public beta program is a warning sign. Why would anybody, in this day and age, not have a public beta program? I might understand for totally new and secret products or technologies...but for a service pack?These dudes clearly think they know what they are doing, but honestly breaking a major piece of functionality like this which has worked for all versions of FS that I can remember (at least since version 5, or shall I say "V" in Roman numerals), on top of the state of the RTM build, is really something to be ashamed of.

Guest mimarsinan

I was just trying to make a point about the closed beta.

It would be nice to hear of any good reason that they did this.Half of beta testing is figuring out what got broken by the fixes.I build software installs in a major world wide corporation for a living.Right now we're running a closed beta with Internet Explorer 7 and it's interaction with company developed HR and payroll applications. Every time we change the IE build because some group needs a change and different functionality - we break somebody else who was working fine.One of our company fixes for IE7 broke a java based replacement for AFCAD for FSX. I don't think I can spend company time and money trying to fix that one.I'm sure Aces/MS thought they had everything ready they could fix on a blown budget and timeline. A final tweaks in the final build had this unintended consequence.FSX is an incredibly complex program - my experiences with other MS products at work tells me that one change in one area can have a totally unexpected, unrelated consequence in a completely different section of the program.The actual bug on this was probably that the VC did not display in the original FSX release.But as noted below - a camera definition / configuration fixes the issue.

Well Dick,That is indeed the beginning of a solution.. thank you!Clearly it is time that I (and some others) begin to understand the camera system in FSX. If this is possible, it might be equally possible to recreate what we had in the non SP1 version. Without having to navigate to some special view... Thanks again for showing the way, now I'm going to try to eliminate the many camera positions I do not use, and make the ones I do use easy to switch to.I'm still trying to figure out when to use the "s", the "a", and the "w" keys.. : - )Thanks again, this Landscape view is pretty nice in it's own right, especially during take-off..

Bert

>Now save this, and delete the Camera.cfg in your "C:Documents>and >SettingsYourNameApplication DataMicrosoftFSX" folder.>>FSX will rebuild that CFG file to this location, and it will>have a ew entry in the ViewCockpit menu. Landscape.Thanks, Rick. I was going to do this myself, but you've just saved me the trouble... ;)BTW, there's no need to do all that faffing around...Just open the existing camera.cfg file in notepad and tack your entry at the very bottom. Save the file and your done! ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator