What's new in the Library
FS9, FSX & P3D CTD Guide - UPDATED V2!
Simulation's Premier Resource!
AVSIM is a free service to the flight and simulation communities. Please help us keep it that way. Donate what you can today! Thank you for your support!
- Free simMarket addon - FSDG's Oresund X for FSX & P3D v2.x
- Simmarket Deal of the Day - Taxi2Gate MMMX (FSX)
- Free VFR Photo Scenery Vol 6 never istalled for FS2004
- Aerosoft PMDG 747X Boxed version reduced to €29.99
- Aerosoft Winter Sale 20% off boxed products
- Drzewiecki Design New York City X 30% off?
- Just Flight Pick and Mix Sale
- Drzewiecki Design Polish Airports volumes, which one to get?
- Ultimate VFR Photoscenery Crazy 75% Off
- Any one looking for a complete Fuselage to make a sim out of? There are a few on ebay for $300
- Trackir 5
- Very good Computer for FSX for sale
- Precision Flight Controls Multi-Engine Throttle/Prop/Mixture Quadrant
- Precision Flight Controls Beech Yolk with Hall Effect & Digital Clock
- Reduced! PFC Cirrus II Console and Pedals $500 + shipping
- Saitek X52 Pro HOTAS - Priced low for quick sale!
- CH Throttle Quadrant; CH Eclipse; Saitek Combat Pedals
- For Sale: Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, $120
- Reduced price for Flightbeam KIAD (2nd copy for sale)
- SAITEK PRO FLIGHT SWITCH PANEL (UK based)
. . .
Sad but true
Posted 22 January 2009 - 07:34 PM
ex-Aces Lead PM, FSX SP1 and SP2
ex-Intel LRB native title enablement, ex Intel Gaming and Graphics Samples PM
now Future Architecture PM in Intel DRD
Posted 22 January 2009 - 07:43 PM
Hi Phil,Wow! This is major! I figured something like a small cut in the Aces team would happen but not the whole FS team! This is not good for the Flight Sim community. Thanks for the heads up!Jim Young
Posted 22 January 2009 - 07:44 PM
That is horrible news. My heart goes out to the team and their families and all the employees that were let go today at Microsoft.
WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE-the best Flight Sim!
Posted 22 January 2009 - 07:47 PM
This is sad news indeed, not just because I enjoy the hobby. It seems even Microsoft subscribes to the mentality of "cut cut cut" to cope with the times. Sooner or later employers have to realize that they feed the cycle of recession by putting their employees, who in the end are consumers, out of work. I feel Microsoft should consider selling the team to an entity that specializes in entertainment software--there is still a market and always will be, I believe. Many of us are in our third decade of simming now and our children and grandchildren will pick up our passion and look to the "virtual skies"...Regards,John
Posted 22 January 2009 - 07:59 PM
Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:17 PM
Ron Hamilton ASEL
Eaglesoft Development Group
Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:27 PM
At least 4 options1. FS franchise goes into long term holding pattern (3-4 years for next version)2. MS concentrates on PC business and OS software ditches PC entertainment software to cut costs. Sells FS franchise3. EXP coming to shelf near you for 49.95 to recoup investment loses for MS 4. We all now eagerly await the next iteration of X-Plane since they're the only one left standing (ducks)
That's crappy...What does this mean for the future of FS?
Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:27 PM
Frankly, I doubt that MS will abandon the development of the sim entirely. I expect that the development cycle will simply slow to a more managable financial pace. I look at FSX every day, and I can't ignore the affection which senior management must feel towards it, it has such an inspiring technical quality. After all, it's a microcosm of the world in which we live, so I doubt any one of us, management included, can ignore the affinity we feel for the world we love so dearly when flying over it.
What does this mean for the future of FS?
Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:33 PM
Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:37 PM
On the PMDG777 and VAS: Yes, I have read pages 30 to 34 in the manual on the topic of VAS and the use of the product. While the guidelines are valid and a good start, I'd certainly like to see (and participate) in a longitudinal study of the profiles under which owners of the PMDG 777 series operate to divine the most promising variables from which VAS management can be controlled.
Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:50 PM
I don't think there will be any 'pace' to speak of if virtually the whole team was disbanded. MS may change their mind when better time return but then it may be hard to get the same talent back. Obviously nothing is impossible in long run but if the above news is true it would probably mean no more work on FS in the next say 5 years.I feel for the folks who lost their jobs - they are the ones who truly lost.
I expect that the development cycle will simply slow to a more managable financial pace.