Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Don't miss this one: a NEW FSX optimizer

At least new to me! First, super thanks to Omzig, whoever he/she is. I posted a question "Is there a driver-level frame lock utility for nV GPUs?" in the Video Cards & Drivers section on Feb 15th, and until today, no replies. Here is the issue I posed:"I am looking for a driver-level method to lock frames in FSX. As we know, sometimes running UNLIMITED can lead to frame rate surges and jerky video at times. There are also priorization benefits in running UNLIMITED that limiting frames in FSX seems to override, or at least adversely affect. It seems to me a driver level frame rate limiter would solve this conundrum. Any thoughts?"Omzig sent me a link to the freeware applet that does just this. Seems super low overhead. And I have very good news! It works perfectly to REMOVE the surges that can come when using UNLIMITED. This is really a nice benefit I have already discovered. One can set the desired FPS limit in the applet by way of a batch file that autoexecutes FSX.exe (or any other D3D 9.x or 8 or Open GL app). This approach eliminates FPS "spikes" as Nick and other have noted is unfavorably associated with UNLIMITED frames in FSX under certain conditions. There may be optimal places to set the frame lock on this. But already, I'm seeing it works as theorized. There are quite a few posts in other game forums re the value of this tool in minimizing . . . "micro-stutters." I'm not sure this is true, but it certainly solves frame surges, which can ruin the optimization and higher baseline framerate that UNLIMITED offers.Here is a picture of the Java run applet interface:A screenshot of FSX using FRAPS to display actual FPS, with FSX's frame limiter set at UNLIMITED (note: without FPS_Limiter, this scene runs at ~40fps UNLIMITED:Here is the link to get the applet: http://rapidshare.com/files/16064218...imiter_0.2.rarYou will need to rename .rar to .zip to open it, or download shareware winrar.You will also need the Java applet enabled on your machine/browser.From there, expand the .rar file into a folder, and click on the .jar file. This generates the GUI interface you see above. From there, just navigate to FSX.exe and the GUI will create a batch file to run FPS_Limiter and autoexecute FSX.exe. From there, you're good to go!I think this will turn out to be a significant technique to use. Enjoy!Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Hmmm, did you intend to run 1/4 speed in game?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Hmmm, did you intend to run 1/4 speed in game?
It's irrelevant fortunately. It was done because FSX's frame counter bounced around between 29.5 and 30.7 or so. You will find this works exactly as advertised. In areas where you would normally see 60 or 70 frames in UNLIMITED, you will now see 30, give or take a fraction. I tried to capture one spot on 30, but missed. FRAPS updates slower, and so sits on 30 more consistently. Save yourself the skeptic mode--go check it out, you'll be glad you did I'm sure :(

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Guest Debocraft

what would be the difference of using this application to limit the spikes when fsx is set to unlimited or to simply limit the fsx frames manually to a suitable level?

Guest kwilson

The link doesn't seem to be working.

what would be the difference of using this application to limit the spikes when fsx is set to unlimited or to simply limit the fsx frames manually to a suitable level?
Good question. Why bother with some applet if frame limiter is already built into FS?

Good question. Why bother with some applet if frame limiter is already built into FS?
And I also thought the same. I guess the answer is what he said here:"There are also priorization benefits in running UNLIMITED that limiting frames in FSX seems to override, or at least adversely affect. It seems to me a driver level frame rate limiter would solve this conundrum."But I wonder: what exactly are those priorization benefits?

I haven't tried this and am sceptical but I'm a sucker for anything that promises an improvement. The link seems to be broken but the file is fps_limiter_0.2.rar. Easily googlable.John

Glad to hear it worked for you :) Heres a LINK to the file mirror at my own RS account Im Omzig here but else where in the FS community im know as Gizmo,you may have seen or even used a few of my repaints (infact i have one in the Avsim AVSIM Reader's Choice Awards Best freeware other VH-AIF HD repaint for the carenado C152)I havent tryed this tweak myself in FSX (although i've used it with other games)as im a DX10 flyer (made my own custom water normals for DX10) but i'll be giving it a look in DX9 now that Noel has posted a glowing review CheersGizmo

I guess you missed the point. Without a doubt in MY experience: when I set to UNLIMITED, I get considerably higher frame averages in areas where situation complexity will cause the sim to run at maybe 25% slower than in the same situation UNLIMITED. For example, in a complex terminal in a 3rd party plane, I might set frames at 30 (in FSX) and it will settle into around 24 or so. Go to UNLIMITED, and the same situation gets around 30, only this can lead itself to the surges and spikes mentioned. I will usually put up with spikes to get the superior overall rate, unless it's severe, as in certain situations when the sim might go quickly in and out of high complexity-low complexity situations, such as with certain cloud types. Not so any longer! Read NickN's comments re UNLIMITED. You will find he has had the same experience.
I don't know exactly--but it's true. Try a complex scene that when set to 30 (in FSX) you find the sim running at 23 or 24. Go to UNLIMITED, and the same exact scene runs at around 30. NickN as referenced these, which is why he flies UNLIMITED in dense areas with 3rd party birds, I believe.

Noel

Ummmmm. Well Obviously I am doing something wrong, or missing a step or action somewhere:I have installed the program and get the following results:1. I double click on :FPS_Limiter_GUI.jar"2. I then entered my path to "FSX.exe" and have exactly the same display as Noel's.3. I enter my choice of Framerate (For academic purposes, less say "20"4. I then click on "create bat".5. I then double click on "fsx.exe.limited.bat".6. The "FPS Limiter VO.2 © 2007 Marko Ludolph" window displays.7. The FSX Startup begins.8. The "FPS Limiter" window displays the following text: "Using Direct3D 9 Renderer Hook" Starting: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator\fsx.exe".9. When my "Free Flight" option window comes up and the music plays, the "FPS Limiter...." Window displays big Green text: "New FPS: 20" (After the default flight and continuing startup, some of the time a second large green "20" has displayed above the other green text)10. FSX starts up normally, but there is no change in my unlimited frame rate display. It still will roam around between 30 and 40 (Unlimited setting).I am assuming the large yellow "30" in Noel's display is thanks to "FRAPS"????? I do not get the "Unlimited" text in my red display at the top even though it is selected.The readme file also states: " - New command line switch to set the desired fps (/f:x), default is 30 - New command line switch to enable or disable logging (/l:ON|OFF), default is OFF - New ingame keys to change the desired fps (F10 decrease / F11 increase) - New ingame fps display, show or hide with F12, command line switch is /x:ON|OFF, default is OFF"I may be into something a little over my head here, but none of these key commands are changed for me either. F10-F12 still change displays from virtual, 2d, overhead etcl displays as well.Am I supposed to put the ".dll" files in my module folder? What am I missing here? Anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong, or is anyone else having similar results? This sounds like a dandy contribution, but these old ears have another short between them.Respectfully:RTHASUS P5N-E-SLI MotherboardIntel E6600 Core2 Duo CPUZalman CNPS7700-CU RT CPU Fam4 GB KST DII800 MemoryWinXP ProNVIDIA VCG8800GTX 768MB Primary Video Graphics Card21

does this "fix" work for DirectX 10?

John Binner, MCDST
U.S. Dept Of Veteran Affairs, Senior IT Analyst

OI&T, SPM, Clinical Imaging

2022 Build: Thermaltake Core X71 Full tower case, ASUS Prime X570-P Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core CPU, ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX6900 XT GPU, G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB DDR 3600 RAM, Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80+ Gold PSU, Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L Water Cooler

Ummmmm. Well Obviously I am doing something wrong, or missing a step or action somewhere:I have installed the program and get the following results:1. I double click on :FPS_Limiter_GUI.jar"2. I then entered my path to "FSX.exe" and have exactly the same display as Noel's.3. I enter my choice of Framerate (For academic purposes, less say "20"4. I then click on "create bat".5. I then double click on "fsx.exe.limited.bat".6. The "FPS Limiter VO.2

Bert

Guest kwilson

Mr HodgesI think you forgot to but your mother's maiden name in here. Please fix it post haste.

ASUS P5N-E-SLI MotherboardIntel E6600 Core2 Duo CPUZalman CNPS7700-CU RT CPU Fam4 GB KST DII800 MemoryWinXP ProNVIDIA VCG8800GTX 768MB Primary Video Graphics Card21

Mr HodgesI think you forgot to but your mother's maiden name in here. Please fix it post haste.
:(