Sign in to follow this  
Dazzlercee23

TextureMaxLoad - Formula Question for Bojote

In your excellent description of your recent findings you mention the formula below to help calculate the TextureMaxLoad value:MAX_TEXTURE_DATA = (TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD * (TextureMaxLoad * TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULTIPLIER)) / UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMITThe result of the formula (MAX_TEXTURE_DATA) is the number of bytes per frame sent by the CPU to the GPU.How do we know what value of MAX_TEXTURE_DATA we should be aiming for?I currently run an i7 975 at 4.2 with a GTX 470 running at 1920x1200.Current relevant values are:TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD = 4096TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULTIPLIER = 400TextureMaxLoad = 9UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT = 25This results in a MAX_TEXTURE_DATA value of 589,824 bytes per frame.Other than looking for visual artifacts is there a method to determine what sort of value we should be looking for?How many bytes per frame should a decent system be able to handle?Thanks,Daz.

This results in a MAX_TEXTURE_DATA value of 589,824 bytes per frame.Other than looking for visual artifacts is there a method to determine what sort of value we should be looking for?How many bytes per frame should a decent system be able to handle?Thanks,Daz.
Hi Daz,well.. if you apply the formula to the 'default' values, you'll see that according to MS 'that' number, should be between 3000 and 6000 bytes PER frame. now, remember, this is a HARD cap, a 'top' a 'limit' it does NOT mean the textures will transfer AT that speed :) it means the texture manager will transfer UP TO 'MAX_TEXTURE_DATA' per each frame. so, how much is 'good' or enough? is very system dependant! even your HDD can be a factor here, I have set TextureMaxLoad to 15, and there is NOTHING (not even PNW) that maxes it out, and I have the same hardware you have. Using TextureMaxLoad, the CPU nor the GPU will spike or show heavy usage, so here probably the limitation is the system PCI bus or the HDD. Don't know if I answered the question :) because there is really no 'right' answer :)

Hi Daz,well.. if you apply the formula to the 'default' values, you'll see that according to MS 'that' number, should be between 3000 and 6000 bytes PER frame. now, remember, this is a HARD cap, a 'top' a 'limit' it does NOT mean the textures will transfer AT that speed :) it means the texture manager will transfer UP TO 'MAX_TEXTURE_DATA' per each frame. so, how much is 'good' or enough? is very system dependant! even your HDD can be a factor here, I have set TextureMaxLoad to 15, and there is NOTHING (not even PNW) that maxes it out, and I have the same hardware you have. Using TextureMaxLoad, the CPU nor the GPU will spike or show heavy usage, so here probably the limitation is the system PCI bus or the HDD. Don't know if I answered the question :) because there is really no 'right' answer :)
Thanks for that. I think the answer is to experiment until problems occur and then back off slightly - just like overclocking.My system is very similar to yours apart from I have the 470 (this may be temporary as the 480s become more widespread).I also run both the OS and FSX off separate Intel SSDs.Thanks for the info.